I need help with the outliner

ok… sorry for the title. I normaly hate titles like this…
… but…
I am a professional 3d artist for well over 10 years mainly using cinema 4d. for quite a while I try to get my head around blender and to be honest there are things that are fantastic and other things that drive me crazy… I mean really creazy. right now i have to stop myselve from smashing my monitors (for example).
the main reason for this in the moment is, that even thoug I really tried to get information and looked around i cant find answers to the most basic questions. The way I understand the outliner, it simply is not possible to work with it. (sorry I am far from bashing blender)
I guess there must be a diferent concept behind it. so one or two questions that I really would love to get anwers for.

1. how can I select hidden objects and move them around without making them visible. (there is a reason i made them invisible and there are many of them)
    and second how do I copy a object with all its materials (and hidden children) from one sceene to another.

I really hope that the answers are so easy that you already shake your head over my incompetence… but please… for the sake of my surrounding. I need answers. … pleeeaassee :slight_smile:

thanks so much
Jops

ctrl L for the links menu, and I guess numeric input ( n key ) would work for moving invisible objects.

Hi Modron,

thanks a lot for your reply. I belive that I will be able to learn how to link… so no further questions about it right now. but for the outliner and selekting invisible objects. I thougt that the cursor icon was for locking objects. i really can’t understand why objects get looked if i just make them invisible in editor view.
I will give a example:
I have a compex car. to speed up editor view i blend everything out but the tyres and parts of the body.
the car is gouped under a plain axis object (not a blender groupe). now if I want to move this plain axis object (including everything that is underneeth it) into an other axis object how would I do that?
the only way I found is to make all parts visible select hirachy move the stuff und make all the parts invisible in editor view again? (that takes ages for a acion that is just a simple drag and drop in cinema)

thanks a lot
Jops

can noone help?

Are you talking about parenting, that axis object ?
If you parent your car parts to empty object, hide all car parts and move empty, car parts still move with empty object.

Hi JuhaW,

wow … yes you are right… I am totally confused :frowning: there are things that are possible while others arn’t
for example move to a different layer. how can I move a hidden object to a different layer?

thanks and sorry for my ignorance
Jops

1. select hidden object in the outtliner, hover mouse over viewport press m and press a number or click a layer.
    or
    2.select hidden object in the outtliner switch to the object properties tab press a layer in relation tab.

Not yet possible in Layer manager, AFAIK.

Yes, but with select hirachy it just selects the visible objects. if I have a huge system of nested obects, is there a way to select all the child objects (like with select hirachy) including the invisible?

thanks a lot guys your comments are very helpfull !
Jops

Well should be the easiest thing for a 3D software, but seems like severe bug to me.
It simply does not select invisible objects when you push select hierarchy.
you will need a sophisticated workaround. Good luck.

i think that this behaviour of select hirarchy gave me the impression that the whole outliner is unusable. there must be a shortcut or so to select all children, also the hidden once. i just can’t believe that i am the only one that has problems with this.

thanks again vor the answers.
Jops:spin:

Put parents and childrens to the same group, one click to group icon will select all objects of that group, visible and hidden.

onced grouped, hit shift g to select group or if you like children!

This method does not select hidden objects.

could not reproduce that, with multiple objects selected the hidden one did not go into the group.

A simple script may help, basicaly all unhidden, the appropriate group is selected, then the rest are re hidden, or something like. But I know nothing of scripting.

They are already in the same group, unhide objects of that group and you can select all objects on that group with single group icon click, visible and hidden objects.
This example is about selecting hidden objects.

ok so there might be a way if you do everything in the right order all the time, but if you have to make all objects visible to get them into a group then it is more or less the same problem, right?

it is just select hirachy that doen’t work the way I would want it (others might think different of corse)

best regards
Jops

Depending your situation, but you can use one layer for hiding objects.

Thats true. But i know nothing about scripting either. Maybe you find help here:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?11-Python-Support

if there is no usefull workaround for this (one layer to blend stuff out is not usable for me, unfortunately)
I might get something scripted. If I have something I will post it of corse

thanks a lot
Jops