no full armature for rigify

im having an issue with the rigify addon. i’m using 2.72a atm. i do the generate option, but when i look at the actual armature for the thing, it only has a spine and head, but no limbs. why is that? is there a way to solve this problem?

well, nice try for uploading a picture. But it is completely unhelpful. If you upload a picture make sure it is
A. Actually Blender 2.72
B. Has an armature (even if it only has spine or whatever)

Now, to truly be helpful, upload a blend and we’ll get this figured out. pasteall.org is a good place to upload.

oops, sorry, i fixed it now

is dropbox acceptable? https://www.dropbox.com/s/aec5iv0a4gk1hfe/sample.blend?dl=0

Hi there :slight_smile:

I’m having pretty much the same problem, so hope you can help me. Running Blender 2.7b. When I generate the armature, I get only the upper body armature, nothing in the legs and arms, although all the names are there. I select first the mesh then what part of the armature is there and do Ctrl+P and get an error message to the effect that some bones could not solve for Weight Heat.

I have Python scripts enabled - when importing the mesh, I scaled it to match the Rigify armature and applied the scale and rotation.

I get the same problem regarding automatic weighting when applying an armature manually to the same mesh - no weights. After weight-painting it works fine.

When I test with a simple mesh made in Blender, there is no problem.

I can unfortunately not sent a Blend file because the mesh is a proprietary Daz 3D product and the TOS does not allow posting files from which the product can be extracted.

Attachments

You can post the file without the proprietary mesh. Make a duplicate file that only contains the armature objects.

Thank you. After a lot more testing and research, I seem to have found half the problem. The normals on the hands and feet appear to have been reversed on import - they are fine in the originating application. I am at least now getting a full rig. I suspect the other half of the problem (automatic weights not working) is the density of the mesh, although it is only 21K polys.

I’ll need more time to test, but can’t do so today because real life is getting in the way.

Will report back once more tests done :slight_smile:

Done some more testing with a few random human figures as well as some I’ve made in Hexagon - I’m not yet clued up enough on Blender to model. Found that it is not so much the high poly count that stops Rigify and manually made rigs from auto-weighting, but some indefinable method in the way the mesh is made. When I made simple figures, even with a poly count higher than Daz figures, there was no problem in auto-generating weights.

Daz figures, as well as others that I have tested, generate the rig, but no weights at all - I suspect this is because my figures did not have groups or separate eye, tongue and teeth meshes, as the other figures had.

So it seems that, when a partial rig is generated, the fault lies in the normals not being aligned and when it generates a full rig but no weight-mapping, it is the way the mesh is constructed.

The good news is that they work fine after manually painting weights :slight_smile: