Tidy up geometry after boolean

Hi

I’ve used a boolean modifier to cut some arch shapes out of a mesh. This has worked fine but has left some very weird geometry which is making unwrapping it very difficult (or impossible). A lot of the advice says the only real solution is to tidy it up manually - what is the best way to do this?

tia
andy

since you already have the basic shape, you can easily do it using retopo / surface snapping tools. i’ll provide a step by step in a moment…brb…
(edit)
place your vertex, or vertexes in front of your model, then press the button on the main header that looks like a magnet.
In the options to the immediate right of that button, set it to ‘face’.
more buttons will now appear just to the right. press the one that looks like a square in front of a circle.
you can retopo at this point. if you move the vertexes, they will snap to the model surface underneath.
but in order to see things better, you should go into object buttons >> display settings >> x-ray
then, in your 3D window, while in edit mode, press N for a whole new set of buttons, and find the one that says ‘hidden wire’ in the shading panel.

Thanks - the more I look at it though I think I may be in the territory of “If I were you…I wouldn’t start from here” :slight_smile:

Would I be better off starting again and using a different method to cut my arches out which would give me better geometry to work with - my project is still at a stage where that’s not a major problem and it’s all about learning…

Yes. Polygonal modeling is not done by cutting objects with other objects. There are special cases and techniques to use that but it’s not the main modeling method because it destroys the structure.

Thankyou - I’ll explore other options