Question regarding bevel tool (edit mode)

Hi all

I have a question regarding bevel tool in edit mode. I noticed that when applying bevel on particular edge there is specific threshold on width value which determines what result we get: if width value is greater than threshold value than Blender rounds edge when we add additional segments, when width value is lower, then Blender doesn’t round no matter how much segments we add. My question is: what determines this threshold value for particular object?

Motivation behind this question is such that I am very annoyed when I want to apply rounded bevel with small width, but I cannot do that because Blender doesn’t round the edge with so small width value.

I am not sure how threshold value is determined - I observe that for two different objects (but similar in size and with scale transformation applied) threshold is different - with one object I can get rounded bevel with desired small width value, but for other object I cannot.

I hope I could explain the problem clearly. If not, I can post pictures from Blender which will present better what I mean.

Hm. Isn’t that just a question of having smooth or flat shading on an object?

Identical objects, same bevel distance/segments, left with flat shading, right with smooth shading:

No no - my issue is strictly about edges in edit mode generated by bevel tool, not about how they look like after shading.

I will post images to describe my problem clearly.

First image:

On image above you can see that the new bevel face is not rounded despite that I added multiple segments. It is because bevel width is too low. To get rounded bevel I need to increase width, then I get result like this:

The question is: what determines the width value above which the bevel is rounded?

is this 3D edges ?
did u check parameters in tool panel ?

happy bl

Yes, they are 3d edges - they are part of a cylinder.

I couldn’t find any bevel-related options in tool panel…

Rather than going round in circles and trying to use guesswork, please ALWAYS supply an example blend file when you have a support question.

You can use the forum attachment system or upload to http://www.pasteall.org/blend/ and reply with the download link