Baking normal maps

How can I bake normal maps for objects like this.

I have marked sharp edges along uv seams and used edge split modifier. Then I duplicated the low poly(for cage) and applied displace modifier with very low strength value. Then I baked using Cycles.But the normal map looks weird. Any idea how to fix that.

displace modifier only works on high poly objects. do any displacement on your high poly object before baking the normals to the low poly one.

I only use displace modifier to scale the box to use it as cage. not to detail it.

Hello, I also have some questions about normal map baking, so I’ll just put them here…and since this cursed forum trashed my long post I’ve written earlier and autosave restored only my first sentence, I’ll try to ask plainly…:mad:

I’m baking normal map from hipoly to lowpoly mesh. It’s causing some mess on the final texture, because of the model’s complexity. Some parts are baked nicely with Bias of 0, while some need at least Bias of 0,062. How can I avoid that?
See attachments.

Second problem are triangles that are being baked on the normal map, even though the hipoly mesh is smooth and detailed and it’s causing mess on the final asset. Whan am I doing wrong here?
See attachments.

But the normal map looks weird

What means weird?

Lord Berandas: have you checked all normals are pointing in right direction? A workaround for the “random points” problem could be bake a higher resolution (2 or 4x) nmap and then scale down.
Not sure about second problem, maybe the original mesh can have a cleaner topology.

The normals are okay. I’ll try to bake the mesh parts separately and see, if the result is better.

I think the topology should be okay, the problem on first screenshot appears only on one side of the mesh, although they’re identical, so I was wondering what could be causing that. Perhaps a stretched UV unwrap? Will do some more testing when I got time.

Thanks for your input.