Four Stroke Car Engine

Hi guys,

my recent private project. Completely done in Blender and rendered in cycles.

And here short animation:

Great animation.

Nice animation, nice cut away. A bit too much depth blur for my taste. The dark opening sequence takes too long (relative), but then I typically open in new tab and this matters only on second view…

Some comments on the model: I like the main bearings. Why are the cams connected on the other side? Valve retainer look to heavy. I fail to see the face of the piston which transfers the lateral forces to the cylinder. The crank could be more fluid-dynamic (current production engines to not have sharp edges on the counter-weights (at least not in a four-banger)). With four valves I think the spark plug is always on top. What is that stuff between the cylinders? Only large diesels and old V8 have water between the cylinders. The cam profile could be a little more aggressive (flat top). It looks like a Diesel.

…very nice animation indeed…haven’t done any in years… but you got all the movement cycles synced …cool… and thanks…I always wanted to do this with Blender…now I don’t even need to think about it…

Hey guys thanks for all comments.

ArneCRosenfeldt you detect it. Before posting this I was thinking hopefully nobody start to look deeper inside the engine… :slight_smile:

This project was a self challenge for me to rig something more complex together. In fact I do not understand the details about the engines you mention. Downloaded somewhere piston, remodeled it, than modeled crankshaft from some google image. Than used some other reference for cam and valves etc. Just to glue something together.
Sharp edges, yes I know, was saving polygons using Edge Split modifier and then trying to cover it little in post, you guess how I did it - depth blur :slight_smile:

Thank you for commenting ArneCRosenfeldt, next time I start project with better concept, I promise :wink:

Are those hand ground valves… hehe…i can smell the grease, but there is none sadly… a little brrrrm sound may have been fitting in the video… also… a few mechanics leering at it might have been good haha… but it looks excellent to me…

Looks great! My only crits are the blur/dof is a bit much, and the dark gray material looks a little basic.

nice modeling and really like the animation

Such beautiful smooth motion and reflections very well constructed.

Top notch all the way in both the animation and modeling… nicely done.