Loading/saving model from a messed up .blend file (interface)?

I have several models who’s interface has somehow gotten all screwed up (there’s no hash marks in the corners so I can’t drag a new window, split or combine windows is greyed out, lots of other stuff like selections don’t work). Rather than fight with the darn thing, how can I save the models, ie: load them into a new/clean Blender session. The goofed up session is saved with the 3D file soooo. I’ve read the manual and searched the forum to no avail. It seems to have started with an upgrade to 2.72 The only solution I can see is to save the file from the screwed up session as an obj then import that obj into a new/clean/default session.

When you open a file in Blender, there is a “Load UI” checkbox in the bottom left hand corner of the file browser screen. Uncheck that and Blender should open the file in the current UI layout instead of using the one that was saved with the file. Re-save and that should be fixed.

Apart from that appending is always an option…

You can append the contents of one .blend straight into your new project.

If you press [shift-F1] or go to [File, Append], you can then browse to you messy file and click on it to see its contents. Then go into its ‘Object’ folder and select the objects you want to append to you new file. It will pull in any linked data, such as materials, textures, armatures, etc.