dragon neck rig

-rubs temples- Alright, this thing is giving me a headache, and I can’t seem to figure out how to get this model to deform the way it’s wanted/needed.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/295/b/c/halp_by_jaderavenwing-d83rvyk.png

Trying to get the neck to deform somewhat like a horse’s neck, aka smoothly without getting that weird indent near the chest. I have tried moving bones around, I have tried adjusting weight paints, and sometime I get close but then the top of the neck deforms strangely.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this to deform nicely, I am all ears!

The model will be used in a unity game engine in the future, so keep that in mind for any proposed fixes.

It looks like you have a bone that goes down into the chest are below the neck… That is holding the geometry in place when the neck bends, but you probably already knew that. I don’t know how a real horse’s neck would work, so I can only comment based on assumptions: The bottom bone in the neck chain should only move a t, while the bone above that should move a little more, etc. on up the chain. Think about how your own neck moves… it’s basically a lot of head movement where the neck meets the head, and a lot less where the neck meets the shoulders.

Not sure if this will help you, but without examining the rig itself, there’s not much else I can do. Maybe you could examine a horse/dragon rig that someone put up on Blendswap.