How to return whether or not Blender is currently rendering

I’m looking for a value that will return render context (is Blender currently rendering?) either a boolean or some other derived way of telling if Blender is rendering. I thought bpy.context should host something like this, but didn’t find anything. Thanks.

What about using the handlers ?

http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_72_release/bpy.app.handlers.html?highlight=handlers#module-bpy.app.handlers

Interesting, I’ve never seen those before today. I was messing around with bpy.app.handlers.render_complete, render_cancel and so on, but every time I run them in the console I just get back empty list brackets. Not really sure which one to use or how I might get this to return a sign that Blender is rendering.

This is not how it’s work. As you can see at the beginning of the link, it’s just gonna call a function when the handler is applied. If you really want a value for your script, just use a global variable and modify it using handlers and their function “linked”.

Thanks. Here’s another simple example.

import bpy

def isRendering(scene):
    print("Blender is rendering")

bpy.app.handlers.render_pre.append(isRendering)

One more thing. Can handlers not be appended initially in addons? I tried using:

from bpy.app.handlers import persistent

but this did not work. I tried registering them in the register area of the code where classes and other things I append are taken care of, but this didn’t work either. I’m basically using this to change the display of a menu item so I also tried throwing them in a class which draws menus and this worked but obviously that’s bad because it causes the items to append 40 times or so (though I am achieving the desired effect).

Not sure what you are asking?!

you should basically append handlers in register() and remove them in unregister().

Maybe this is related?
https://developer.blender.org/T34636

@CoDEmanX

That was the first thing I tried but for some reason it wouldn’t work. Only when run from the script editor and not as an addon. I’m using render_pr and render_post app handlers if anyone cares to see if they will initiate in an addon from there machine.

@SicutUnum, if isRendering handler will be appended before rendering starts each time, may consider remove it from handler list each time, to avoid to be appended multiple times.

import bpy

def isRendering(scene):
    print("Blender is rendering")
    bpy.app.handlers.render_pre.remove(isRendering)

bpy.app.handlers.render_pre.append(isRendering)

Very simple, logical solution grammer. Thank you. I’ll try that out.