Render Crash :-(

Just trying out 2.72, i’ve loaded up one of my girlie models to try a quick cycles render and i get to the “packing BVH nodes” part then i get a pop up saying “blender has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution” then it just says “a problem caused the program to stop working, windows will close the prog and notify you of a solution”. i tried on the Supported feature set, same thing, though Blender Render works ok.

Any ideas what the issue might be, or what i can start doing to investigate?

TIA

I have the same thing happen with some of my blends.:frowning:

Hi, first try 2.72b. Second bugfix release.
The easiest way is to upload your test files .
Add your system specs, we not even know what OS you are use,
OSX, Linux, Amiga? :slight_smile:

Cheers, mib

2.72b crashed as well.
i’m unsing win7 64bit, 4gig onboard, AMD quadcore, geforce gt620 card.

Hi wolfie138, could you upload the file, here or on http://www.pasteall.org/blend/ ?

Cheers, mib

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/32331
this is my hair particles, which seem to be causing the issue. i thought it might be, so i deleted them from the model and it rendered fine; i reloaded and cut the scene to a few lights, the hair and a couple small items, and it crashed.
having saved the hair as a separate file, i loaded it up and things are a bit strange: i hit render (Cycles), and it rendered in seconds, but only the scalp model, not the particles, despite all visibilities being set etc. tried Blender Render, was fine, fiddled w/ the Particles by combing a little, still nothing in Cycles, so i quite back to Object mode, turned on Rendered in the view and they showed, so i tried Cycles Rendering again, and it crashed as usual, in the packing nodes bit.
cheers

edit, yeah, just tried it again quickly to make sure my upload had worked:
Render - no particles
into Object mode, switch to Rendered view, can see the particles
Render - crash.

You’re running out of memory - plain and simple.
The peak memory consumption reaches 3.3 GB: Your graphics card only has 2 GB VRAM and your system may have 4 GB RAM, but from that you have to subtract the amount of memory Windows needs for itself…

well i’ve rendered that before on previous versions, so that’s odd :-/

edit - did a quiuck render w/ less children and it worked fine ~ thanks for the info, it’s annoying but hopefully i’ll have a new puter in a couple months w/ a ton more memory and far better card.

cheers

just as a PS, for further info in case it’s of use; i found out the issue was somehow my prefs had gotten set to using CUDA instead of the CPU - my card’s weedy so it was running out of GPU memory whereas the last time i rendered her i was using the CPU stuff.