How do I ???

How do I texture a cube like object I am not working on anything so don’t have a blend file to post I was just trying things and I cant seam to get a cube to texture right top and bottom look fine but sides a stretched out how can I fix this?:wink:

You need to set the correct texture mapping. How you do this depends on the renderer you are using, which you haven’t stated.
Note that if you don’t use UV mapping the view of the texture in the viewport under textured view may not match the rendered view. For generated coordinates set the mapping projection to cubed instead of flat. Manual entry: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Textures/Mapping

What texture are you trying to apply ? Image or procedural ?

There are multiple ways to unwrap a cube. Like with most objects, the quick and dirty way is to use ‘Smart UV Project’. This would give a ‘quick’ unwrap without having to mark any seams, but in most cases it may not be ideal: disjoint UV islands, difficult seams between them, etc.

Probably one the most common unwraps for a cube (seen, e.g. in cube maps) is the ‘T’ - unwrap: you mark seams a certain way, select all and U->Unwrap.

Here’s an example blend. Two cubes, one unwrapped with Smart UV Project, another - with seams.

sorry I my have been wrong in what I was trying to do I was using a texture to make a displacement and in cycles and its the displacement that I can’t get right.:eyebrowlift:

was going to share a blend file but for some reason it did not save it at this point I am so frustrated I am ready to just give up. :mad:

What about displacement can you not get right? I assume at this point that you have the texture mapped properly, so it’s something about the displacement itself?

the top and bottom come out fine like bricks and all the side are stretched.

you can UV unwrap each face of the cube to solve that, its probably not the most efficient way especially for larger projects but it should fix what I’m thinking your issue is caused by.

the image on the cube looks good its the displacement that is off

As always: Show us the file.
I understand that you have no “real” project you work on, but obviously you’re testing stuff: So show us the file you use for your testing.

I would add a blend file but pasteall will not let me add a the file.:(and don’t know any other way sorry

took 20 min?http://www.pasteall.org/blend/32293

The mapping for the displacement texture is set to “Local”. This needs to be set to UV:

Btw, you will need much more geometry to see a nice displacement effect (increase subsurf levels).
Also I’m not sure if the displacement map isn’t inverted? Try setting the displacement strength to negative values and see if that looks better.

Oh I thought you were talking about displacement in the material nodes not the displacement modifier

thank you so much sir I am kind of new and sometimes a little slow.:spin:

Ah, you’re welcome.
Any software as complex as Blender can be overwhelming at first: That’ll pass.