Left-Mouse-Button vs. Right-Mouse-Button: The ULTIMATE Poll

Fellow Blender Users,

Once and for all, it must be decided what the one true default selection mousebutton shall be!

Cast your vote now or forever remain silent!

There should be a “For god’s sake drop it already” option.

Also, nice to see you joined the forum finally Mr Baron :wink: this is pixaal

Left of course (i.e. to comply with certain expectations), but I’ll be fine if I can configure it. And I’ll be fine, if it’s voted every year. To make things different and better does not depend on mouse buttons, imho.

RMB selection is one of the best blender design.It avoids handling errors so frequent in other softwares.
Every 3d software should use it.

when i started with blender, i switched to LMB in the user prefs and i’m still using it like that. given that this standard could be changed, i didnt see a reason not use LMB selection. because that’s what i was used to from literally evey other software.

Not again…
it has been discussed so many times.
LMB selection brakes a lot of shortcuts, it is almost impossible to fix them.
If you haven’t notice it’s OK.
An example? There are too many…

Developers should have a look on this nasty thing.
Else, even the option to select LMB or RMB is wrong.
I use the RMB select, simply because I can’t do anything else. Not an option for me, it’s rather a bad joke.

Brecht wanted to fix the inconsistencies and make a real LMB possibility by removing hardcoded shortcuts, but he is gone and none of the remaining devs seems to care about this (or Ton avoids it). More featurezzzz and Gooseberry are the priorities?
Defaults are not that important, freedom and consistency should be.

Again?
http://blog.digitaltutors.com/where-blender-functionality-is-better-than-mayas/
:smiley:
I think Blender should offer two builds to download, one with RMB selection and another LMB by default, so we would end up with this discussion and would be no doubt that Blender is the best 3D software :stuck_out_tongue:

QFT.

Now I am all for LMS, but those issues need to be resolved. Another big issue with LMS currently is selection behind the active manipulator. If for example, a vertex falls too close to the manipulator you can’t select it because Blender thinks you’re using the manipulator widget. In other software, like the UE editor, selection works through the manipulator as long as you don’t click and drag.

This has been discussed so many times. It is being worked on. As others have said, it’s not as simple as just changing the selection mouse in the preferences, too many things break.

This is my the tasks that I’m personally working on, as one of the UI leads, through the creation of an updated keymap. It takes time, though (a lot of time).

Closing as this horse has been beaten dead more times than I care to count.