Hardware for faster rendering times (CPU or GPU)

I was thinking aboutbuilding a machine (or machines) to speed up my render times. Before investingthe time and money, I have a few quick tech questions Let me start by saying itis my understand there two ways to go about this

Using multiple GPUs (Cuda cores)

After pricing some options, it seems it seems both will bearound the same amount, so cost is not a huge issue. The biggest concern isbang for the buck, with that does anyone have an opinion on

1. If you are doing 1080p work 3 gigs of memory should begood? I ask this because some say the good thing about using CPUs is that is somuch easier (cheaper) to add more ram to the board than getting better GPUs

2. How many CPUs are needed before rendering speeds increase?I had a machine with a 750ti in it, added a 650 and it cut my render by 20-24seconds per frame (which as we all know adds up) Do you see improvements with 2to 3 CPUS or do you really need a good bit before you get any improvements

3. Finally with GPU rendering, is there a limit to where youstop seeing benefits from extra cards? I know a 750ti is a lower end card soadding other cards you will see some increase, would the same hold true for aGTX 970 or 980 with the 1300+ Cuda cores each? In case I am not wording thisright let me us an example. When SLI (something blender does not support) themore cards you add the less benefit each on brings to the table. Any suchlimits with Blender

For the record I was thinking of building a machine usingAMD 8350 (maybe 8370) cpu and two GTX 970s. In addition, there would be about16 gigs of ram, 3tb drive, 1 tb drive and a 250 gb ssd. Which I believe wouldbe good for what I do. I compared the build cost with 4 AMD systems each with 4gb ram and 1 tb drive.

Any help or guidance is appreciated

I’m no pro, but if you see the time diff between renders with a CPU vs a GPU, the GPU is like 25x faster. I’m not sure I’ve heard of anyone going with an ALL cpu build. (again, I’m not a pro)