Scaling object question

First, I’d like to apologize for submitting this question to the wrong forum. That’ll teach me to browse with multiple tabs open. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know this has been asked, but I really don’t know how, exactly, to word my question so as to find the solution using the search tool…

What I’m trying to figure out is how to scale the “empty space” of an object like a ring or tube. For example, I make circle with a diameter of 1. I extrude it out .5. Now, I want to scale the who ring down to an interior diameter of .75, but retain the .5 width of the ring.

The way I’ve been doing it is to scale the inner circle down to the .75, then turn edge lengths on and try to get the outer ring to the correct distance. Surely there’s a tool or function to handle this. Say you’re making a rope lasso and you want to tighten the loop. You wouldn’t just scale it down, because the “rope” would shrink down to a thread…

For simple pipe shapes you could just use a capless cylinder with Solidify modifier. That way you can control the diameter in edit mode, and the thickness with the modifier’s settings. Or even a beveled curve.

If that’s not an option, you could do this: select the inner ring, enable proporional editing (O), switch its falloff to Linear (shift+O several times or just choose it from the dropdown), press S to scale, scroll the mouse wheel so that the proportional area is larger than outer ring and then scale.