Buck Rogers Star Fighter

This Morning I wanted to do the Buck Rogers Star Fighter. I have learned a lot more on hard surface modeling and I think this is some of the best modeling I have done to date. Comments welcome

It looks very clean and well modeled.

Morning everyone. Here is a minor update to the star fighter. I did not like the pointed front of the ship so I changed it to what it should should be.

Here is a update. I have been working on panels and textures. I need to call it quits for the night but here is what I have done so far.

Great work! I always wanted to have that one as a toy! Great work and don’t forget to share it as soon as finished :wink:

Comment: For some reason I prefer the “flat” shaded versions. The latest rendering seems to be a bit too glossy (compared to the modell they’ve used in the actual movie).

Thanks for the compliments. I agree I do not like the glossy look either. I have finished the textures this morning and added flames to the rear engines. This is almost done. I need to work on the compositor a bit. Although this is the best model I have done so far it still needs a lot of work to add that WOW factor to it

You’re showing your age by modeling this ship. :slight_smile: but good job! Try reducing the strength of your keylight to produce more dramatic shadows and to let the glowing textures stand out more. Nice work.

outer space lighting is usually kind of dull with deep shadows. most of the light will come from the glowing bits of the ship itself. other light sources might be a nearby planet or moon. also, backlighting is very popular for space scenes. also, a pale blue light tends to work well, like flourescent light. and things tend to be kind of desaturated and pale looking.
(edit) i made a quick example:

Thanks Modorn. One of the things I need to work on is my lighting. I watched the Andrew Price Asteroid tutorial and I remember his comments on lighting. I will play around with it to see if I can get a better lighting effect

Ok so I took out the sun lamp and I am only using the background image as my lighting source. Here is the latest render plus the background image I am using

looks much better, maybe a little less overall brightness would be good though.

OK I turned down the strength on the background. I also messed around with the compositor a little.

Here is the compositor configuration I used. I am still new to using that so it could be better