"Shape key" for armature?

Just wondering if anyone had some ideas for making a shape-key equivalent for an armature?

Why? The idea is that I could have an armature deform to match a mesh shape key when both are controlled by a common driver. (Presumably just using a custom property on the character mesh to make things easy.) That way you could have a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde, Hulk, or werewolf type character mutate while the rig stays in correct proportion.

I’m trying to think of a way to do this as there doesn’t seem to be any other obvious way to keyframe the proportioning of the bones. Not worried about weighting too much (if proportions are setup ok to match the mesh shapekeys), and relative rotations/etc. should stay the same so the pose can be held during the mutation, mainly the idea is there should be some way of animating the sizes of sets of bones and controlling it with a slider.

Hmmm… I think your idea of a custom property driving the scale of the bones you want to scale would be the way to go. Maybe if you make your mutated mesh at the same scale as the original rig, then let the bones distort it to the new proportions.

Good luck!