My FIrst Blender Project

Hello!

This is my first serious Blender project. After some time messing around with the software, I decided to put my skills and patience to the test. I have never worked seriously with 3D, but now I admit that I’m kind of addicted to it!

I got inspired by some concept art from Dishonored (the game), and decided to try it out. The style was left behind, but much of the face physiognomy is from the drawing, as you can see.

I still have some work to do in this model; maybe the adition of a full body, and specialy some hard work on Hair and the SSS skin shaders.

Looking forward to have some feedback and learn some new stuff with you guys.

Cheers,
RicardoMadeira :slight_smile:

Ok. 112 Views and not a single response. Nice Forum.

Ok! The face (sculpting) is a very good start and is very nice. I thing that you could now improve the shaders: I think the bump map is a bit too hard, especially for pors skin. The specular is also a little bit to hight (you should put a little bit more sss). Another trick: you can also change the camera focal lenght between 90 and 100 and also change a little bit the view of your character.

I hope this can help you a bit :slight_smile:

I agree that the skin needs a good bit of work. At present it looks rather thick and like clay. The sculpting overall is a bit interesting…, but not bad, just a different style from the large amount of photorealistic work that seems to be posted here.

The eyes do also seem a bit too simple, lacking many details that you could probably improve (veins et cetera, the picture does not show them so well, but they look to be fairly basic). Being not so familiar with the game, I do not really know what you are going for, it would be nice to have more background and reference images. Overall, though, it looks interesting so far.

That’s how it goes sometimes. It’s not a reflection of anything, really. I have seen some fantastic works slide right off the page. In fact one that I rescued off the third page ended up being featured on blendernation, the forum header, and maybe even the gallery. If I may crit your head, it looks quite good topology-wise. I think the skin shader can be improved. Multi-layer SSS is recommended for skin shaders.

Modron, thanks for the review on the work! Yup, you’re absolutely right about the SSS Shader. I’m perfectly conscious that I should improve that. :slight_smile:

Hi,
Your modelling and texturing are nice but your lighting could be improved. I think a front lamp would be better.
Your skin shader as a little too much reflection and/or lacks a bit of SSS.

Maybe changing your camera focal needs to be adapted too. The usual 35mm is not well suited for portrait, you should try extending it to the 85-110mm range.

Looks good! :

Although the bump is a little too strong, and the specularity is making him look a little sweaty!

Hello guys!

About the tips you gave me;

Well, I must agree with the stuff said about the specular. I’ts preety high, I use a higher level in those first renders without a proper SSS to make shur I liked the textured skin. I really wanted it poping up. I’m tweaking my SSS layers to make it a little less sweaty.

About the lighting tips, I believe that a single lamp wont help much, since I have some backdrop on the ears and stuff. I’m a Cinematographer and I really like to make shapes come forward with different kinds of temperatures and light sources. I just need to perfect that with the blender system. About the Focal Distance of the Camera, I agree that a lower one might be a little to messy in terms of convex distortion, so I tested some higher ones.

I will be posting some advances later.

Cheers!