Making vector files ''ready'' using Gimp + Inkscape ( Svg. Eps. )

Oké Lovely People,

What i’ve done :

1. Got a png. file with a giftbox on a transparend background from Blender 3D,

2. Import the png. on a new layer above the main one with a white background in Gimp,

3. I’ve Export the File as Eps.

4. Ive import the png into inktscape and Export it as Svg.

Now my questons :

1. Have i done the right thing?
    ( No i dont lol )

2. Do i need more than just only Eps. and a Vsg. file to compleet it as Vector ?

3. How can i check my own work to see if ive done it correct?
    ( Via Text Editor )

The Goal is to putt the file online as sell item.

Sorry, but I don’t see how you intend to actually transfer the image into a vector graphic with that workflow…?
You open a png and just save that out as a eps/svg. Without any kind of vectorization this will still be just a bitmap graphic - only that it is now embedded into a vector format. And why do you use GIMP for that process at all? You could skip that completely and achieve the same result from within Inkscape alone?

Vector files can contain raster elements and that what it probably is with the steps you listed. You could check that by opening it in a text editor and see what the content looks like

Default cube with transparent background:
Left: svg file with raster image element in it
Right: all elements are in pure vector format

Don’t know which is suitable for you. Showing files online is usually done with raster images (.jpg, .png). Svg works in proper browsers but vector images are heavier for the browser, although file size can be much lower depending on the content.

To answer the most vital question: no, you didn’t do it right. Sorry :slight_smile:

Start Inkscape, import your bitmap into it. Select it and run ‘Path > Trace Bitmap’ menu command. Then tweak the options in the newly opened dialog and vectorize it. Then, after you think you are fine with the vectors it created, remove the bitmap as save the document as SVG.

Depending on the illustration in question I might suggest to go for manual tracing with Bezier curves.

@Ikarishinji :
The reason ive downloaded Gimp is becuase the tutorials made me to…
but good to know it can be done with only inktscape… thanks :slight_smile:

@JA12 :
Hey thats a long time ago friend, Ive try to open both files (Eps, Svg) in Open Office but they are emty,
Let me ask you a little advice : What would you do with a realistic look a like object… making it xxl jpeg or a vector file?

@Prokoudine :
Oké i’ve export the file from blender as bitmap but now is the background black,
Trace Bitmap there are a lot of options, i click oke and some black blur get add,
To be fair i dont know what am doing… can you expleen me some more about it?

This is the Sample Object am using for now:

Open office writer is a word processor, not a simple text editor. Writer can include images but might not show the content as text when you try to open it.

For displaying the image on web, I’d use raster image. Gradients can be quite difficult for pure vector and realistic render would be full of them. On the other hand if there isn’t, that would be nice for vector format but then image compression for a raster image would be efficient too. Sites that include a lot of images usually generate thumbnails from the full size counterparts so that the pages are faster to load and browse, but clicking them full size would open the original.

I’ve used vector images just for two purposes. One to have working version in vector format and have the ability to export crisp raster images at any size, since vector images can be scaled up without pixelation. And another to get images to mesh conversion by first tracing to vector and then importing in Blender as curves.

There are other possibilities for vector format in web, such as including scripted functionality for a user interface that is in vector format but if you were planning something like that, you’d probably said it already.

Its oké i do see the differends on your screenshot,

I think i understand this, defferends bettween jpeg and vector as loading and editing

Differend scales, yes am doing that now with blender and it takes a lots of time,

I’ll just wait and see if i get more answers of other people to and meanwhile i just have to deal with the situation,
I wil have a look on the internet later again, to find some more infomation now i know a lot more about it.

Escuus my english its not that advanced.

Thanks, :slight_smile:

Its oké i do see the differends on your screenshot,

I think i understand this, differends bettween jpeg and vector as loading and editing

Differend scales, yes am doing that now with blender and it takes a lots of time,

I’ll just wait and see if i get more answers of other people to and meanwhile i just have to deal with the situation,
I wil have a look on the internet later again, to find some more infomation now i know a lot more about it.

Escuus my english its not that advanced.

Thanks, :slight_smile: