UV unwrap has white background

Hi Everyone Im following a tutorial for UV mapping but when I unwrap my model the uv map appears on a white background where as all the tutorials I have seen the model is unwrapped onto the standard (presumably transparent) grey grid how do I get rid of the white background after 4 hours of googling I can’t find a solution,

Thanks in advance

Go into 3D view and into edit mode on your mesh, select all faces. Then in UV/Image editor’s header unlink (press the cross button) whatever image has been assigned.

Hi Stan I havent assigned an image yet, basically Ive marked my seams (ctrl E) selected all faces (A) then unwrapped my object (U) and it generates the UV map but the background is automatically white not the grey transparent grid.

Ive found what is causing it, Im modelling a character and I modelled the feet separately positioned them so they are poking through the base of the body and joined them with (ctrl J) To remedy I selected the feet and hit (L) to select connected and separated them with ( P) and now when I unwrap I get the grey background. Not sure why overlapping meshes cause it to generate the white background tho, is it a bug or is there a reason for it ?

Hard to say. Could you show a screenshot, or better yet, upload your .blend file to pasteall.org so we could see exactly what’s going on? If you have any images already, pack them first (File -> External Data -> Pack all into .blend, save).

I did try backward engineering my file but got into a bit of a mess. Next time I run into a similar problem I’ll do a “save as” and upload my .blend. Someone on the comments section of a youtube vid had the same problem but immediately posted to forget the question as somehow it was now working, so although he hadn’t given anybody chance to answer the question and save my sanity :wink: it does show that this white UV map background isn’t an isolated issue, not sure how significant a problem it is tho.

Thanks again Stan