Attaching a snowboard to a character

Hi, I try to do a little animation with a modified rigged character by PigArt, but i cant figure out how to attach a snowboard to his feet - I found out that if I make the board from a mesh separated from his left foot than it moves together when controlling the foot with bones, but I would like to have both feet connected with the board. Any suggestions?

http://1drv.ms/1ojVlbH

unrig the character and join the board to the character with a separate material then add new bones to go along the board under the feet.
then rig
after the rig separate the board from the character the board should be rigged to character

You could also do this with child-of constraints, probably numerous ways.

My thinking would be to just add child-of constraints to both IK feet, parenting them to the board, and then animate the board object, to control the feet. Just put the board in the correct position, setup the constraint and hit ‘set inverse’

If you’re linking it may be best to use a single bone armature for the board, but you could get away without it I reckon.

Hope this helps.

Had a look at your blend. Here’s what I did (very quickly so you might want to tidy things up/do them yourself).

Edit mode, select the shoes and separate by loose parts.

Edit mode on the board, delete the armature modifier, and all their vertex groups.

On each foot, and I did it on the ‘torso’ bone as well, as above, add a ‘child-of’ constraint with the board object as target. Hit ‘set inverse’ each time.

Set the arms to FK too. Now you can animate the board and have the whole rig follow, and still animate the feet and hips on top of that.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/32232

Thank you Hammer, it is perfect now.

Glad that worked for you. :slight_smile:

Well it turned out to be not that good as I thought. I mean I can live with FK on the arms where he leaves the arm control meshes after any motion, but I am having a big trouble with the animation because if I insert a keyframe in pose mode, the animation replays only bone movements without taking into account the board and if I add a keyframe in object mode after going out of pose mode, than it replays only object movements. I tried both - normal and Visual type of keyframes. I should probably have a single bone for the board and both shoes parented to it. Anyways would you suggest a better solution or am I doing sth completely wrong?

I tried it again, and it seems to work for me, keyframing in object mode on board object, and in pose mode for the torso etc. Sometimes I had to scrub back or forward a frame for the parenting to update in the viewport though.

So it probably is a tidier solution still to add a bone to your main rig and parent the snowboard to the bone, and your IK feet bones and torso bone parented (or constrained) to the snowboard bone.

You could simply add two target bone on the board and constrain both feet to each target. The feet will stick too the board. move the board the feet move, move pelvis the character will move.