Motivation

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but I kinda need some help so I’m putting it here.

I’ve always messed around in 3D programs and made small amateur projects and always had fun doing it. I just recently got into sculpting, struggled, but started getting the hang of it…anyways I recently stopped doing 3D all together because I found I was terrible at drawing…

Sounds funny right? To give up all of my 3D hobby because I couldn’t draw on paper or with a tablet?

I just got de-motivated that I couldn’t draw and that I have no motivation to learn how to draw. I mean I think it’s cool and everything but I’ve sort of given it up for myself.

Does anyone have some motivation or tips? I didn’t work at drawing that long because I lost interest, but I still love 3D!

Any stories or tips?

Thanks

I have never seen myself as someone who could draw. Honestly I am terrible at it. Some people have said I am decent, but I think they were merely being nice.

But I sculpt really good, and even better with a tablet(specially considering I have only done it for a few days). Only plugged my tablet in today actually, was amazed at how much nicer it made sculpting. I’ve made many textures, drawn many things by mouse, a little bit by tablet, but have always sucked on paper.

My proportions usually suck in general, but with some reference or by staring things down, I usually get it right. I have done pure modeling on a few things, and I would have failed horribly without reference.

I used to draw really good for my age on paper when I was a small child, but lost interest. I tried sculpting for the first time with zbrush 2, made some cool heads, but never sculpted again after that(didn’t own the software, brothers friend had it on his pc), also remember zbrush2 being amazing(but that was so long ago, I can’t remember how good it actually was).

I now draw worse than when I was a child, recently I have had to sketch many things, and it took a few days to see improvement, but I am still worse than when I was 5.

I used to draw really good faces, with shading, but not much of anything else, I found I was awful at it, that is probably why I lost interest when I was younger.

Anyway, here is the main thing about my experiences. The drawing of faces kinda stuck, not as good as I used to be, but it is still there. And the only reason I was good, is because I looked at my sisters highschool art ( I remember it being some blue oil painting or crayon(not sure), with a man holding a woman I think they stood in water), and kept on drawing till I could match the faces, it didn’t take too long(a week maybe) before I started drawing decent proportions with crude shading.

It kept getting better, till I wanted to draw other things, and I lost motivation quickly! I should never have stopped trying different things with drawing. Drawing to me, is like an infinite learning process, I can draw one thing better and better if I keep trying. But I am always better with pc, even with a mouse I can draw better, simply because I am used to it, besides having instant undo. One thing I have learnt, that I always used to forget, is that drawing isn’t a very quick process, and for it to be quick, you either have to be really used to it, know what you are drawing, have drawn it before, or want it to be sketchy half bad looking thing.

My advice is that you keep going. There are many little things you can study about drawing, but those things barely ever helped me. One thing, is that sketching seems to help me improve drastically(specially proportions).

To me it doesn’t matter if you or anyone else thinks it’s good or not, if you enjoy doing it then do it. My motivation comes from my desire to create things, if you have that desire then that’s your motivation. In my opinion if you have the desire to create 3D artwork and you enjoy creating, but you don’t do it because you’re afraid it’s not good then your problem isn’t a lack of motivation, but an abundance of fear.

Just because you think it’s no good or others tell you to think it’s no good doesn’t mean it’s no good. Many of history’s most highly revered works of art were originally detested by others and often times the artist his or herself.

What if Gallileo threw in the towel because the Church felt his observations and ideas didn’t align with established belief?

I guess that is why I have always stuck around with some sort of art/design, building or tweaking throughout my life. It is what I do, sometimes I find it tedious, sometimes I find it frustrating, but I generally love doing it.

I found motivation quotes help. I got these three from:

was messing around some photos…so here they are…I put the quotes and they might help you too.

Attachments

Thank you everyone for all of this! I appreciate the motivation and friendliness. I guess I did take drawing as a fast processed, never really wanted to put TIME into it.

The early bird catches the worm.

To get motivation - for anything in life - get up early in the morning when your mind is fresh and spend 15-30 minutes studying or practising. Do this on a daily basis, no matter how small or trivial the work is…

For the rest of the day, you can relax in the knowledge that you did something about your weakness, and thus become stronger before the day has even started. Also, you have the whole day ahead to reflect on your work and will more likely be able to retain that knowledge for the following morning.

@SamusDrake: That’s pretty good, I often find myself most motivated to program, model, texture or animate in the early hours of the morning. A lot of times I find that if I act on that motivation in the morning I’ll continue throughout the day, but if I don’t act on it in the morning I lack the motivation the rest of the day. While that’s certainly not always the case, I do find it to be true a good portion of the time.

For sure! There have been many days where I’ve gotten up and NOT been able to do something because I couldn’t use my pc. Just the fact that I had to sit, sometimes hours, waiting to get to doing things, totally destroyed me, I was tired, demotivated, felt dead. On the days I did get to wake up and actually do something from the get go, I was way more energetic and into it.

Absolutely. Also, if you can get something done before the rest of the household wake up, you have it cracked. Sometimes family or flat mates can be the worst kind of distraction.

Hi, I have read that you want to get motivated and learn to draw and that’s nice. My daughter before do not have the perfect skills and even talent to sketch but since she has the willingness to grab the opportunity to learn stuff, her creativity came out and her skills develop slowly until she mastered everything through practice. I think, anyone could have that ability as long as he has the urge to do it, so why not try?