Autostereographic rendering mode for the BGE

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a new stereo rendering mode for the BGE, implementing the so-called “autostereography”.

Not sure what it is? Simply a 3d rendering method that doesn’t anything but your eyes to work: a frame consists of a tiled random pattern, with each tile being a little bit different from the others. When you look at the image crossing (or parallelizing) your eyes in such a way that each tile seems to overlapp with one of its neighbours, the differences make you feel there’s a “depth”, and so you can “see” objects.

You can find info about this at many different places on the web, including on Wikipedia. A well-known company named Magic Eye has also created many books about this technique (and as a result, autostereograms are often referred to as “magic-eye images”).

My version is implemented as a custom filter, but the menu button is in the properties (see below). I completely created the algorithm by myself. It has been kind of hard, as it has to work “per-pixel” to be used in a GLSL shader. After a massive rethinking and rewrite from the first Python script I had created to demonstrate the idea, it now runs smoothly at 60fps.

The patch code and some info are on developer.blender.org. There is also a build (Win64 only, for the moment…) on GraphicAll.

The stereo panel with new option (switch to Game Engine Render to see it)

The default cube

What’s in there? Can anyone see it?

As always, comments & feedback are much appreciated. :wink:

GREAT WORK!!! Wonderfull! I love it :slight_smile:

Sorry, I didn’t recognize the second picture (a turtle?). I strongly recomend Matpi’s Build. Very fun. And a good way to make personnalized gifts to your friends and family. That’s not perfect, but very promizing. Another examples:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/117opqs9diei322/testautostereo.blend (.blend)
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/78625 (stereographic picture)

Thank you Matpi

Thanks too :wink:

And no, not quite a turtle… :eyebrowlift2:

Some further testing: do you see the little house in the woods?

Specs:

• Eye Separation: 0.2
  • Show Guides: on
  • Focal Length of the Camera: 15.0
  • Far clipping distance: about 60.0

Yes, I answered you on BC… :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

A build for Linux is available on GraphicAll!

I am not sure whether I included everything needed in the compressed folder - so please give me feedback about if it works for you or not!