Cycles is Driving me Locos

So I can’t render any images in cycles and maybe someone can point out some obvious mistake I’m making.

Couple things to mention, I did all the modeling, texturing, lighting and the preview looks really nice actually, but when it comes to the “F12” actually making a Render it starts then never makes any actual finished render. Dead end. I’ve tried sampling only “100” just to get ANYTHING to show up. Nothing. I even purchased a EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti graphics card which I’m thinking was a waste of money now.

How do you guys actually end up with a finished rendered realistic image? Is it possible? I’m beginning to wonder.

So attached is a preview of my image and also the numbers that come up on the top left screen when rendering. I’ve tried both CUDA GPC compute and CPU computing. Nothing. The preview always is great though. Such a tease and false hope.

My only guess is not enough memory. The GTX 750 handles 2GB. But the CPU, not sure about, is there a way to check it and make bigger? I tried both ways overnight (8 hours) with sample from 500-2000 and nothing. Absolutely nothing is generated.

Attachments

Hi, it is only guessing, 2.3 GB is really overkill for such a scene.
Your GPU cant handle it if RAM is to low or you use a 32 BIT system all is extreme slow.
Another guessing is you use very high subsurf settings, more then 2-3 is overkill too.

Cheers, mib

This might be easier to diagnose with an actual .blend file. Make a copy. Try removing stuff - simplify the meshes, remove textures one by one. Either you’ll end up with a smaller .blend file you can make available for us to examine, or you’ll find one mesh or texture or something that when removed, makes the problem go away.

As mib2berlin already pointed out, there is nothing in that scene that would even remotely justify a memory consumption of 2.3 GB. If preview renders fine, but final render doesn’t, I would assume that…

a)
…you may have different Subsurf settings for viewport and render. The ones for the viewport already seem to be insanely high (hence the gargantuan memory consumption) and if the ones for the render are even higher, it is not unlikely that your machine is just not able to cope, since every level of Subsurf quadruples the number of polygons.

b)
…or you have set a whole lot of objects set to be invisible in the viewport, but still renderable. That’s why the preview renders fine, but the final render doesn’t even finish with those additional data to compute.

Impossible to diagnose without more information (screenshots / scene file).