Ideas on how to make the model look better?

Hi :slight_smile:

I have been trying to model this for alot of hours now, because i have been deleting it a lot and restarted a few times :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, so here’s some pictures of the model, first wireframe:

Mesh with some wireframe:

Mesh:

Any advice on how to make it look better, because there’s some problems with the visual on the model as you see.

could you post a closer up shot of where the stock meets the barrel?

It doesn’t look too bad, TBH. the most glaring issue i can see is the “handle” portion, where the butt stock curves to meet up with the receiver, seems a little longer than it should be, looking at my real rifles on the wall for reference. lol. the butt itself is a bit long also.

it could also use some definition of the receiver itself. instead of just smoothly melting with the stock. remember thats a joint there between wood and metal, and not all one piece.

post the .blend itself and we can take a closer look! if you want.

Here’s the .blend file, oh and i forgot to say i’m trying to model the Winchester Riot 1897.

Winchester Riot 1897.blend (577 KB)

I have a lot of trouble with the details too. And don’t mind the edgesplit modifier, because i tried to make it look better, but if i set the angle to greater than about 55, then it begins to look a little worse.

And if i do a edgesplit modifier and set it to 51 then there’s sharp edges at some places, anyway i hope the blend file helps :slight_smile:

sorry for delaying a reply! been busy prepping a new game for launch. lol

i feel that a lot of the problem with the receiver is that its not “machined” enough. its more organic. which is making the whole thing feel wrong. you might start by aligning all the verts along the top with a single point. or better yet, just delete out the whole section from the handle up to the joint with the barrel and extrude it back out from the barrel joint, and weld it back to the handle. to get a nice crisp uniform shape to the receiver. let me do that real quick and take some pictures. show you what i mean.

deleted out the lumpy reciever

Extruded back from the barrel/receiver joint to get a clean form, and welded the handle back onto it. (did it manually by turning on vertex snapping + automatic merge button, and dragged each of the handle verts up to the reciever verts, so the handle would deform and not the clean receiver shape)

tossed in some extra edge loops, to define the ends better. and then loop selected the small faces between those loops, and extruded + scaled them in a tiny bit to give a little separation line between the wood and metal parts.

heres the edited blend file back if you want to look at what I did https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j3xyz6r2t6v34/Winchester%20Riot%201897RecieverEdit.blend?dl=0

I think the normals need to be flipped on the stock, the receiver, and the upper barrel.