Video editing?

So I’ve been making a few videos about my in-dev game, and I would like to make more professional videos. I know of Sony Vegas, and adobe, but I don’t have the money for that. All i really need is a software that can clip a video of some rough bits, add overlays, and a simple intro. So does any software like that exist? Maybe even as a free software?

You can use Blender’s VSE for video editing. It takes some getting used to and has limitations, but it can get the job done. There are also more traditional open source video editors like Kdenlive, Cinelerra, and Avidemux with each having its own strengths and weaknesses. Kdenlive gets my vote for reasonably powerful and easy to use but its titling capabilities are very weak.

There’s also Lightworks, Shotcut, and VideoLAN Movie Creator.

Thank you, I probably won’t use Blender’s VSE for this, because I don’t want to over complicate a simple video

Thanks!

See my just created forum post!

I also like HitFilm 2 Express. You can do a lot with it, and while I find Lightworks to be a little more robust in some ways, HitFilm’s interface reminds me of the way I’m used to working in audio applications, with more copy/paste functionality, quick click/drag trimming, etc. Check it out, it’s pretty easy to get into: http://hitfilm.com/express

Is there a free version?

There was a free promotion for Hitfilm 2, but I don’t think there is a free version anymore. HitFilm is great software for easily doing editing and VFX compositing in one package, but for just clipping videos I wouldn’t consider it worth the money.

Movie Maker is great for simple cutting, though I’m not sure if it can do overlays. iMovie is supposed to be similar but I’ve never used it. NCH VideoPad (non-commercial use only) might be good to look into, I used it once or twice with good results a few years ago.

Blender VSE would be my recommendation, it’s a little steeper learning curve but easy (and free) once you get the hang of it.

HitFilm Express IS the free version ;). You have to register to download.

No, Express just has fewer features and is $149. I logged in on the page you linked to earlier, the Download button has been removed.

“The HitFilm Express free offer has now ended”

Uhmmm… No-one mentioned Davinci Resolve yet? Professional grade non-linear video editing, and industry standard colour grading tools as well.

And the Lite version is completely free, which is kinda mind-boggling for the quality of product you get. The Lite version allows for up to 4K editing - which should be more than enough for most.

Overlays, compound (nested) clips, animation curve control for overlays, a title editor for video titling, layer blend mode support, effects, GPU acceleration…

It really is a bit of a no-brainer (if your machine can handle it - it is professional grade software).

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/davinciresolve

Huh. I stand corrected. They musta just done that, because I downloaded it again not too long ago. That’s a shame.

Davinci Resolve 11 lite,its free and easy to use and and relatively powerfull.

It really is a bit of a no-brainer (if your machine can handle it - it is professional grade software).

Any idea what the minimum system requirements are? Can’t find anything on that

I have a less than year old laptop. i5, 8 gigs ram, and it won’t run Resolve Lite. Premiere runs just fine though, only problem is Premiere won’t run on my linux partition.

Yeah, apparently it requires a pretty new and beefy graphics card. It was taxing my card so much that I was nervous it was going to burn up.