Tutorial on creating realistic shaders in Cycles by chocofur.

Hello everyone,

it’s been a while since I did any update on my interior rendering tutorial in Cycles. Today I would like to finally publish the part covering the topic of realistic materials in Cycles. You can view it here.

The whole tutorial consists of over 100 pictures, some of them put together as slideshows. I wasn’t of course able to cover all the possible issues regarding shading in Cycles but what I’ve tried focusing on was sharing the techniques used by me personally in my daily work. Some of them are pretty universal and can be also adapted to other rendering engines such as V-ray for instance.

I really hope you find the tutorial interesting, useful and inspiring for doing your own experiments.
Happy blending!

Really, really good tutorial, thanks !

Very nice and in-depth tutorial. Thanks a lot lechu!

Good job! Maybe add a small paragraph outlining that this is part of a bigger tutorial and where to find the other parts. The first sentence is “We’re in the middle of the tutorial now” and that made me think I missed something or the page didn’t load correctly. People might land directly on this page via link or google.

this is massively awesome. i realize that this layout is tablet and phone friendly. on a desktop however I’d really appreciate an index, preferably linked.

Also, i’d prefer tutorials like this way more than videotutorials :).

Hey guys, thank you very much for feedback!

>Hoverkraft
You’re right, that was a bit confusing. What I was able to fix really quickly was adding drop down menu to the Tutorials section so you can easily navigate back and check other pages.

>blackdot
I’m also happy the page looks pleasant on mobile devices. I know a desktop version seems a bit too long… unfortunately that’s the CMS limitation I have to deal at the moment. When I finish the whole tutorial I’ll definitely think of rebuilding the site a little bit so it looks better.

good tutorial(s)! , one question thou,
could a offline tutorial where the images are still selectable be made of that?

I see. An index would even be useful on movile devices though :).

Wow! Very nice and thorough.

thanks lechu for the effort. Nice and clean page you made there. A really pleasant way to follow a tutorial
if i were to point out something, i’d say that the white-transition between the galleries is quite distracting if you are trying to spot the differences in materials

personally i learned a couple of things:

• weight-facing is geometry independant (really?? why can’t it be for fresnel node too?) which is a blessing for my workflow
  • use curves a lot more! they’re easy, visual, flexible, they allow you to make the job of 2 or 3 nodes in one

well done!

very much appreciated! what an excellent way to present these tutorials:)

I’m a very recent Blender beginner. This website and tutorials are the best I’ve seen and was a very fast and in depth intro to many concepts about CG. Thank you.

Yes, very nice website and tutorials
thank you !

Sweet website, though the link you provided for the tutorials seems to be broken?

I looked on your store website though, found some tuts there. Awesome.

That’s the one : http://www.chocofur.com/6-shadersamptextures.html very helpful indeed !

Thanks , for these nice tutorials

I m getting the following error:

„404 - Page Not Found. Sorry, the page you are looking for does not exist”

Please can you fix the link for this tutorial?

Getting the same thing. Was it meant to link to this page?

http://www.chocofur.com/choco-viz-shaders.html