Halloween Project (CANCELLED)

Since Halloween is coming up I decided to start work on a few Halloween characters this one will turn out to be some sort of witch character.
Current Progress

Still working out the overall outfit, right now I’m working on the pants before I tweak everything else. The character model itself is still untextured something I’ll do once the clothes are done.

Reshaped the body and head a bit. Also started work on some boots for her. The current hair is temporary, I wanted to get a general idea on what she’d look like with it.

This image is a set of renders I did with an older model, I’m still figuring out which color setup I want for her outfit.

Also if anyone knows of a good cycles cotton material I could really use it for the cloak.

Making some progress on the boots, gonna try making a leather material shortly.

nice character. I left a bump map for leather somewhere in the sketchbooks section. probably on the 3rd page or so.
(edit) it may not be right for boots though, when I think about it. It’s more a leather jacket type of texture.

Thx Modron, I was able to find the leather bump map, haven’t tried it yet, still experimenting with a leather texture I’m working on.

One thing I am really wanting to get a start on though is the hair. Most of my characters have relatively simple hair styles and I’m wanting to get a sort of braided look with this character. I’m trying to work that out with both Hair Net and just particle settings but nothing’s really coming out of it. Any suggestions on how to style hair or where I can find some information on that.

Working on a much simpler hair design than I originally intended because I am running short on time with this model and I can’t find any useful information on more complex hair designs.
Still gotta texture her and finish up the pants.

She needs a hat!

Agreed, she did have one the other day but it didn’t look quite right, I’m still tinkering with that.

Working on a hat for her, also changed the hair color.
Right now I could really use some help for the skin material, to me she kinda has a doll look to her.

she should have a raven on her arm.
(edit) and maybe a glove so the claws don’t do any damage.
(edit) or what about a staff with a raven perched on it

Shes’s definitely going to have some sort of wand/staff. Though while I like the idea of a raven, there’s just not enough time to get one modeled. I’m hoping to release it before the end of October.

the cloth is nice, looks realistic. Did you plan to add any wind type of effect?

Possibly, it’s going to be a relatively simple scene, depending on how I pose her I may add a wind effect.

working on some accessories, tried adding in some wind which led me to a little issue that i’ll probably bring up in the simulations section.
worked fine with the hair, it only slightly moves yet the dress seems to do this weird deformation that is seen in this render.

In the viewport it looks fine, only when I render it does the dress do its weird deformation. Something I’m gonna have to figure out in order to proceed with this model.

did you check the normals and the thickness of that area? I cant tell from your image if it is mesh giving that ‘shade’ effect, or if it is the lower mesh coming through. (hope it helps).

Yep checked them as soon as the issue came up. Though I did find what the problem was earlier today. I forgot to bake the cloth sim at the same level it would be rendered at. The bake was set at 3 subsurf levels and the render was 2, instead of both of them being set to 2.

Fixed the cloth sim issue, texturing some accessories as well as reworking the hair a bit, I think I’ll be spliting it into a few more separate particle systems near the front of the head. Then It’ll be on to eyebrows/eyelashes.

Again, if anyone knows a good skin shader that would be really helpful.

I’ve decided that this project is not going to work and am now in the process of scrapping it.

So here’s what I’m going to do.

For my next attempt I am going to make some inquiries into some materials, specifically non realistic skin shading in cycles, such as what is used in disney/ pixar films because that information is impossible to find. With this rejected character I am going to delete everything except the head and use it as a test mesh while I work on the style of skin shading I’m going for. So I’m still going to texture her, but only the head.

I’d like to thank everyone who gave feedback on this thread, it really helped me out with her, I just wish I could’ve moved forward with this character. But stuff like this happens, it’s all part of the modeling process. I actually find it funny that this is the first project I just had to scrap.

At least you can consider how much you learned! Half the fun of blender is working on a project - making changes - then the next project all you learn is still reflected. (My problem was always in making meshes to complex -…)