Most comprehensive Blender Book

Hi,

since a few months I am getting more and more into blender. I started with some Video-Tuts and currently I am working on my first Add-On, which synchronize the Arrays of Parent- and Children-Objects in Space (Couldn’t find an option to do that. So if there is one implied, please prevent me from unnecessary work by telling it. Otherwise await the mighty Synch_Array Addon.)

Now I am looking for a preferably extensive Documentation on Blender. I know, I know - it’s all there online, but I am more likely to read from paper and as there are lots off Blender-Books I wanted to ask the experienced Blenderhood, if one of them is extra-recommendable?

Thanks for your advice!

I bought a couple of highly recommended Blender books in real honest-to-goodness paper last year while learning Blender and found that they where already behind the times despite being recently released. Blender moves way too darn fast for anything printed. I also enjoy the experience of a book but for this sort of thing I’ve found it easiest to just ‘Google’ your questions away.

I’m assuming you are looking for Blender and Python? There is “Blender meets Python” by Jordan Kaufmann and Justin Valencia. I got that as a Kindle edition so at least I can have it on screen. It’s a bit high level but may be useful.

That book is dedicated to the topic. Other Blender books don’t usually give scripting too much attention as there is just too much to cover in modelling, materials, animation, etc.

I’ve written a couple of personal addons. Like most programmers of my time I find a script somewhat similar to my needs and modify it until it breaks, work out why, fix it, and move on until it does what I want. :wink:

If someone comes up with a better example, I too would be interested.

Thank you for your Replies!

I guess I’ll wait for the Blender 2.72-book from Galileo-Computing (german), which will be pubslihed in december - Just to have the basics assembled on paper. And I will give the “Blender meets Python” - book a try, as it is pretty affordable anyway.

For the record, I found both Blender and my current job via a Blender book in the “Discounted Books” section of a large computer store. I can’t recall the title or author, but it included a CD with Blender on it (I think it was 2.62). Thanks to whoever wrote that book!!!

Blender meets Python has only 20 pages ( out of a total page count of 73 not counting index ) concerned with Python. The author jordan robert kaufman ( aesadaiat @ blenderartists.org ) mentions in a post about the book that hes wondering what to write about for volume two.