Prison Ruin

Hello everyone!!

My name is Alex and here is my latest project. So everyone was allowed a day off school on Friday for the teacher professional development day - basically a teacher only day that the school does near the end of every half term. I decided to put my three day weekend to good use and work on a new project as seen here.

Here are my final renders. More angles may possibly come soon, but for now it’s just these two:

My original goal was to create a cleaner looking prison, but after a while I gave in to my temptation to throw in a few grunge textures and one thing led to another and now we have this…

I must credit the people who helped me along the way on these forums as well as a few non-blender friends who I showed this image to in an attempt to see how realistic people thought it was. Without the help of these people, but in particular the people on this forum, this project would have sucked… so thanks!

Other than the ivy which was generated in a program called ‘Ivy Generator’, all of this was done in Blender. No post processing was done in Gimp, Photoshop etc.

If you have any questions on the creation of this scene, I’ll be happy to answer some of them but I’ll also be making a tutorial relatively soon on creating it start to finish.

Thank you for reading!!
-Alex

For anyone interested, here are the AO shots (if that’s what they’re called):

Looks like time well spent! You did a really good job with this! And you did it in 3 days?

Yeah :slight_smile: it took from midday Friday when I woke up to about 9pm Sunday.

The end result is quite striking. It was fun to watch the piece evolve so quickly. I really like the second camera angle, it adds a more defined foreground which works. Very nice Wireheadking.

Thanks! And thanks for all your help as well!

Amazing! I can’t believe you got this done in three days. Just amazing! It reminds me a little of Portal 2, which I love. :slight_smile:
Btw, I think it’s called an AO pass. :slight_smile:

It took me a while but I get the portal reference now as well :slight_smile: Thanks man!

even with in sunny glare this is creepy place >:)
great render!

It really does have a good photographic quality to it, the execution in general being quite superb.

Is everything supposed to look wet though, the specular would seem too strong otherwise if the surfaces are supposed to be concrete.

watching you put this together was like watching a timelaps movie because you could watch the prision evolve in its own time frame.:smiley:
if you look at the still pics you can see it slowly erooooooooding.

Yeah it was supposed to be somewhat damp due to leaking or something :slight_smile:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Well I’ll be remaking it as a tutorial soon and I’ll make a time lapse of it after the recording is all done so that will be interesting :slight_smile:

It never ceases to amaze me as to what people can do in Blender. Great work.

Also 3 days? You did this that fast? Was it just over the course of three days but a shorter time period or was this all you did for three days straight lol.

Also I absolutely cannot wait to see that tutorial.

Just three days. I only came up with the idea at about 1pm on Friday :smiley: And the tutorial is coming soon, I dropped a trailer on my youtube channel:

I’ve recorded part 1, going to see if I can record part 2 tonight but it’s quite late and I have school in the morning so I might not be able to get that done today. I should have part 1 out hopefully within a few weeks. Once you see the time-lapse on my youtube channel, expect the first part to come out within days of it.

It’s a long tutorial though. I’m expecting about six parts and so far part one is just over an hour long and it’s only the basic modelling of the various bits and pieces.