Mountains

I’ve never been good at drawing, but I’m starting to get the hang of drawing mountains.

Here is a 30 min. sketch I just drew:

So I got the general shapes and lighting down, and it’s got an impressionistic look, which I like. Now I just need to learn how to draw small details like, realistic cliff faces and snow and so on. After that I’ll probably take on clouds, trees, and water. All of this will hopefully somehow translate to re-creating it in 3D.

I also made a gif of the progress… Just because.
Imgur

Looks great to me. I’ve been considering learning drawing recently. Has it changed the way you approach things in 3d?

Actually it’s the other way around. 3D improved my drawing skills quite a bit, and I have a much better understanding of lighting, composition, and shapes. This is literally my fourth attempt ever at drawing mountains, and it wasn’t so bad the first time either. I just picked up a pen and went to town. Drawing also improves my skills with 3D of course, so I think learning to draw is never a bad idea.

On a side note, 3D artwork has also given me a much broader understanding of how nature works, and why things look and behave like they do. I’ll never look at sunset and not think about volumetric scattering, nor will I ever look at car paint and not picture a node-based material using fresnel! xD

Really nice!:slight_smile: