Capital - Causal indie adventure/trading game.

Update: 10/28/2014

Hello all, just wanted to show off a little project I have been working on for my design portfolio.

The game is called Capital, and consists of a boat, that you play as floating around in various environments, collecting different resources that can be later traded in for gold, or anything else.

How the game works?

The player collects different resources from all over, in certain environments different resources are much more abundant. For example, fish will be much more common to find in big ocean environments, as well as forest and river/stream environments, therefor instead of 10 fish = 5 gold; 10 fish will then = 3 gold, due to the fact that those venders in those areas have much more of that product. The player will use these mechanics forcing them to travel from zone to zone to make the most efficient income.

All of this is to come later on in the next month or so, for now all you can do is collect fish, one gem, buy and sell any of the other resources, and there is only one vender and for now no other environments that are playable. (sorry) Just wanted to describe sort of what is to be implemented.

How to Play?

W A D - Moves the player
C - Opens up player’s “Cargo”
Escape - Opens up “Pause Menu” (wip, very buggy)

To open up vender window as of right now, you just roll up to him like "what up. " and it will pop up.

Current Major bugs:

Player just falls off the edge of the map, (will take them to other environments later on)
Game over screen does not actually load previous checkpoints yet.
Tons of the settings tabs are not in this build.

Well that should be it,

how you can help?

Any major bugs that need fixing, please if it is not to much trouble, let me know in the comments below as well as what you guys think of this game? I know it’s no next gen looking game or any super inovative ideas, but I think it has potential to be a fun free little indie game.

There are ton’s of bugs and this is IN NO WAY A COMPLETED TITLE!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]338526[/ATTACH]http://imgur.com/a/aIUdw full link

http://speedy.sh/tAbk3/Extinct.blend

Download Link

http://speedy.sh/tAbk3/Extinct.blend

The images look incredible. Can we see a video? I can’t download things right now. :frowning:

Thanks, yeah I am working on one right now, just trying to figure out what to throw in it haha.

Gameplay video. Feedback appreciated. Recorded this on my mac so it is super laggy.

update 2

Holy cow!
I love the blur filter over the main scene when you pause it, I love the fluidity and smoothness with which the boat moves,I love the lighting, I love your UI, this so far looks like a super professional game that I would pay for and play. Keep this up and release something awesome.

thankyou! really appreciate the feedback!

I love the game looks great, some pirates or sea monsters enemies would be good, it’s just a suggestion, keep working hard I’d see your game on Steam
Sorry my bad English

I agree, this control scheme would fit well with some combat. You should look into it. If your game is supposed to totally be about trading, you might not want to do it, but I think that if your enemies were either rare or hard to kill, it would fit well.

Enemies were something I was figuring out, well enemies is too broad, “boss” is more the word I guess? Something were they are very rare, but trophies can be collected by killing them. Just trying to figure out what mechanics to utilize.

The art direction and overall polish on this so far is amazing. This seems like it would be awesome to play on an iPad, if someone could get BGE to work on an iPad without jailbreaking. In any case, my only criticism is that you want to give it away for free. I don’t see why it would be unreasonable to charge $2 - $5 if this game keeps up the quality you have shown.

Are there plans to add the ability to build up a fleet and send them on trade runs for you?

Thankyou for the feedback! I hadn’t thought much about releasing it as a game available for purchase, I have only thought about maybe releasing it for free download. The reason being this project is something I wanted to have in my portfolio.

…and about the fleet, Yes, that is something I have been wanting to do for a while I already have a lineup of ships that I can use for the ai. My plan is you hire them, say they cost about 50 gold; but intern they could make you a large sum of money by collecting trade goods, or they could not depending on who you hire. For example if you hire a fisherman from one zone, he could be more skilled at his job due to his advantage of location than somebody from a different zone. The player will be faced with the challenge of investment, and will analyze return on investment. That’s the plan, whether I will eventually get around to adding that, I do not know yet haha.