Blender crashing on startup

Hey guys, I just recently bought a new computer as i was due for an upgrade. Of course one of the first things I installed was blender! Only problem is it won’t start :frowning: Everytime I try to start blender it crashes. It seems to be some problem with a file called msvcr120.dll. I did some research and it seems to be a common problem. Funnily enough i tried installing the 32 bit version of blender and it works fine. Obviously i’d rather be running in 64 bit so blender can make full use of my hardware. Anyways I thought I would just post here and see if anyone knows a solution to this problem. Specs below…

MOBO: ASUS 990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD 8370 4.3 ghz (8 core)
RAM: 16 GB’s DDR3 Ram
GPU: Radeon R9 270
HDD: 2 TB Western Digital
PSU: 750 Watts

I have been having the same issue. here is a build of it that worked for me: http://www.graphicall.org/444
If the install doesnt work you should be able to run it from the zip folder.

That msvcr120.dll error indicates that you did not install the correct version of the Visual C++ Redistributable Package. Blender 2.71 and up use another (a newer) compiler, so you will now need the 2013 version and not 2010.

There is a corresponding hint and link on the blender.org website. Unfortunately there seems to be a bug in the website code that stops that part of the page from being displayed initially:

After a page reload it suddenly appears:

Yeah I’ve installed visual c++ 2013. oddly the 32 bit version of 2.72 works no problem so I’m not sure whats causing the crash :S