The Secrets to Realistic Fur!

Hey Guys!

Just posted a video tutorial on creating realistic looking fur in blender!

Steve.

Great job! Looks really great. :slight_smile:

I know it’s dependent on what hardware you have, but what kind of render times were you getting for your tutorial scene? I’m working on my first animation and it’s going to have animals in it so that’s why I’m asking. I don’t have a lot of spare time these days, so I wasn’t sure if this tutorial would be useful for me at this time. It DOES look like an awesome tutorial by the way.

Render time wasn’t that bad for acceptable results. If you wanted a really clean HD render, it might be a little lengthy.

Thank you for your response.

I followed this tut and it was helpful on several points, so thanks!

What I got stuck on is, the realistic fur has visible angular geometry in the strands, despite having set the Segments to a high number (25).

What could I be doing wrong?

Here’s my result, as far as I got:

(I know there are other issues with this render, but the hair strands are what I don’t know how to fix)

I would do some more combing, to smooth out the areas it looks sharp. also change the material of the fur from Base to Hair.

Quantum

Try changing
children > random at very low value
children > size variation can help too

@Webhead & carlosan: Thanks, I’ll try those suggestions.
Although I think I already have it set to hair. Can’t open the .blend to verify at the moment.

Increasing Particle Settings->Render->Steps should help.
Particle Settings->Display->Steps will show the changes in the view port and the view port render.
May also want to tick B-Spline.
Higher the steps the more ram it takes to render though.

http://i.imgur.com/bW8fUaM.png

Hope that helps,

Beet Da Brat