Best version of Linux for Blender?

Hi I was looking up on Linux and found that most major animation company’s use Linux for reasons such as cheaper cost in performance and customization. However there are many different versions of Linux, I was wondering what you guys/girls think is the best version for blender. I was thinking KDE for customization but wanted your guy’s opinion, is using Linux particularly better or give you any performance boost? Or should I just stick with windows 7? Thanks and cheers!

I recommend you KDE. I use Kubuntu, but you can try other distributions. In Kubuntu you first install the repository version of Blender, so some dependencies are installed. Then you can download and use Blender from the official site. You need to install the nVidia driver from System Settings > Driver Manager.

Usually in Cycles with GPU, the results are similar for Windows and Linux. In Linux is slightly better CPU performance.

Anyway you can always install Linux on Dual-Boot with Windows and you use both systems, and make your own conclusions.

But, I love Linux :slight_smile:

Okay thanks for the advice, but what if I don’t have a Nvidia GPU I still use my processor to render because I’m an amd fanboy and still waiting for opengl gpu rending. But I have a very fast processor, Thanks.

I an running Debian but any of the ‘major’ Linux distros should work fine. The main thing is your GPU and drivers if you want GPU rendering: right now it’s pretty much nVidia with proprietary drivers or nothing (this isn’t a Linux thing… the same is true on Windows or Mac.) If you use CPU rendering, AMD or nVidia with either proprietary (best performance) or open source drivers should work fine in terms of the UI. At this point, unless AMD gets it working, it doesn’t sound like the Blender team is willing to spend much more time trying to get Blender working with the AMD OpenCL drivers.

I wouldn’t worry about what companies are using though… run whatever you want as it makes very little difference in terms of how Blender behaves. It’s a personal preference / cost / workflow decision.

any major version with one exception
Fedora would not be a great choice

it changes WAY too fast and has a WAY too short of a lifespan

I use OpenSUSE 13.1

the 13.x major version will be supported for some time yet

I am also OpenSUSE 13.1 user (13.2 in Nov.) and it is very easy to get all/most hardware to run.
Most advantage for me was: Only one tool to configure the system, partitions, software update, software installation, hardware installation and configuration and much more.
Fast software management wit GUI.
Try the live CD/USB.

Cheers, mib

Yeah, OpenSuSE is one of the best KDE distros out there - if not the best. And with 13.1 being a LTS version you’re on the safe side for quite some time.

For a total Linux newbie, however, any Ubuntu based distro might be easier to get into.

Okay thanks for the advice I will definitely check out OpenSuSe.