vertex groups not resonding correctly

1. when I select some faces to be hair and name it in vertex group…when I select that group for the hair to show on that group only, hair some how shows elsewhere, did I not do something prior to selecting a mesh to be where I want the hair to grow?

2. How important is subdivision in using hair particles, do I have to subdivide a lot?

3. I did a trial run with a sphere and selected the place where I want the hair to grow, and did the same thing as before the hair was place in the right places and really good, do you think it was something to do with my cartoon model mesh that might have some problems?

4. I do have a lot of object on this character, he has guns, bullets, hat, belt holster. I am running 16 gigs RAM, do you think this could be the problem?

Forgot to mention that the hairs showed up where I specified, but the hair also showed up elsewhere on the face.

Try this:

1. Make sure you actually assigned the vertex group. In edit mode with no verts selected, click the select button on the vertex group. If no verts are selected there’s the issue.

2. In object mode, in the particle settings, free edit, free bake, Check the checkbox ‘use modifier stack’ You may need to tab into edit mode and out again once.

When you emit hairs from faces they will bleed into adjacent faces. So your two main options are:

1. Add a tight loop cut to contain the bleeding
  2. Duplicate the faces you want as an emitter and separate it as a separate object

If it’s not that post the blend.

WOW did not know so much to do…so far I have tried to put hair on top when I have bones and other objects, do you think this is the problem.? I have done a test with a sphere only with no vertex of any kind and it worked good, it is when I have a lot of objects that this happens. Also when I select the place where I want the vertex group, how do select them…with vertex, or faces on the mesh?

Photox I did a test model of a man with nothing on him, no bones or materials, just an outline and the hair worked good, so I guess it is the models I have that have bones and all kinds of vertexs that is giving me the problem. so I guess I have to put hair first before I do anything else??

I used the modifier stack and it work wonderfull…thank you so much…

I used the modifier stack and it work…good good thanks