how about a hall of fame for the free developers ?

I was just curious how much would all the new script addons or other usefull stuff in blender portal cost if summed up.
(not including the models )

polystrip retopo

asset sketcher

motion tool

light manager

cgc shader

skin shader

studio scene kit

render+

Menu pinning

Weight lifter

v squares

facial mocap

muscle tool

material generator

lapineige’s tool

Selection sets

bake tool

asset sketcher

auto maps

total

It’s about a year now or so roughly and maybe i missed some, the total is about 404 dollar
Its not yet on the price level of 3dStudio max :))
Full blender is now at Sketchup pro price level range, and some cheaper autocad versions.
The chance of some payment sure does spur development i see, and its a form of reward to them.
Its not strange to ask something, i mean there are sites where one can buy models too, so why not scripts.

On the other hand i’d like to say thanks for those who try to keep blender free with their add ons.
I think there should be a hall of fame for you people, and your names should be displayed or so on the splash screen, or on an info screen. Together with the other developers who create the core off blender
Oh well I just think you deserve more reward.

So this Blendermarket bashing is still going on, when will people finally let it go?

Not everyone needs those add-ons, so who cares what they all add up to?

The total is still less than a few months license or purchase of other commercial 3D software. Also most things can be done without the plugins, they just make the process easier in some cases. So I agree with the other comments.

Now if I won the lotto, I just may propose how much it would take to buy out some of the more interesting ones and make them available for free. But I haven’t yet, and the odds are slim. No point in griping or worrying about it.

nothing is truly for free - just amortised by others so you can use it for “free”.
Blender is no program to be claimed of that it would be “free” it costs money and time - from you and others.

some people easily spend more than 400€ for Blender not on that store but to the Blender Foundation /develoment fund.

some don´t want to see their names on that list
some don´t want to see their names on that list and spend irregularly

some buy from the cookie store/or other stores and are also supporting the Blender foundation with money or are buying the books and tutorials in the Blender store (http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/) or now are in the Blender Cloud
and there are other plugins like Bsurfaces which was a to buy plugin with the stretch goal to be open sourced either when a certain amount of money was surpassed or with waiting a few month.

some sponsored the inital fbx development when they saw the potential and it is now a regular topic for the Blender foundation to look into.

some buy everything also commercial programs and are donating and supporting stretch goals and can see a bigger picture for Blender.

in which group(s) are you?

Also, all is GPL
… and one can buy all & share
… also many can do a group buy and share

There’s really nothing stopping anyone, except fear & greed…

almost ALL addons, you can do by hand. for free. in blender, it takes more time but it’s possible.

I think it’s nice to support the projects you like, so the devs get funds to continue developing. Also it’s a democratic way of pushing money where you see fit and hopefully those devs will rise and contribute to the source one day and keep up their good job.

motion tool was exactly the thing I love to see, node based approached. and they are a blender studio and seems to produce great stuf so. just win win.

I wasnt bashing, i find it OK if people sell their hard worked on scripts.
But as they get lots of attention, i believe those people who keep things free should be rewarded too, like a hall of fame.
As in my opinion those people follow the original blender spirit without the fuzz that’s around blender-market.
I think off the flash screen, and a scroll list on it or so, for those who purely in the spirit of blender create a free blender.

Blender is not cost free because it takes your time to learn and use and you have the option to donate and support various Blender projects.

Blender is free because it is open. There is no lock in, your data is free to be. You and the Blender community retain control.

Autodesk and Adobe products have up front costs but your data is locked into proprietary formats. They retain control.

You need to be pragmatic too. Software is a tool and you need to decide which tool is best for your needs or produces results faster.

I hope you’re aware of the tens of thousands of dollars that have gone into paying developers to code features for Blender, which you and I can then use and enjoy free of charge.

They get around 50,000 Euros a year through the development fund and much of that is being spent, the fact being that a strict volunteer-based project will almost certainly fail due to time constraints and experienced people leaving for programming jobs that pay. Another example is that paid development is also the only reason why Krita is being developed as well as it is, and almost all of the other big FOSS projects are either that way because of paid development or because of corporate sponsorship.

As said before, Blender is free only if you decide that. And personnaly I decided that all developpers efforts need to be at least compasated with money. So I donate every month 5€, and I have 24 month prepayed in the Blender Cloud.

But I realy do not want Blender to became a free software with all the (realy) good add-ons paying.
I’m the autor of the Lapineiges’s Tools (yeah, I’m Lapineige :-D), and I want to specify something: my add-on is a FREE add-on, in all the meaning of this word.
As said on the Blender Market page, I posted this add-on on the market to let people now it and use it, and if they enjoy it they can make a donation (buy 1 copy of the compilation) just because it is usefull for them and/or they want to help me to code much tools like that. And I choose a very honest price (I think), with 45% going to the Blender Fondation (because of what I explained before)
All my code are freely available on my github (ok, they are not updated so often, but I deal with the time/money I have).

That my point of view about an “ideal” system for add-on developpers: let them free, but have donation from users (but I understand people selling they add-on, if it is at a reasonable price).

And I agree, these guys are not weel know (note that i don’t include myself here, because I’m not one of these big guys I’m speaking about), I think they need that. In my vision, if they were as known as famous artists, they would have more donations.

Happy blending guys :slight_smile:

your right
Well i mainly started it, because every new addon, gets lots of attention, while i know others who dont go by name.
People who sell, get the money plus all the media attention while there are so many other people doing great work here.
Also people who are not coders, like people who support or teach for free.

anyway i like your idea of a bitbucked
Maybe some kind of a virtual coin system if you help others, or code, or write a tutorial, or update etc…
Or instead of coins title rewards; or a “hall of fame splash screen with names on startup”

NOTICE i am not against people making money with coding, (i’ts part of my daily job too) but i admire people who in their freetime help others by support, or coding and ask nothing in return. Its what keeps Blender alive, a support question at company usually costs time and money, here a lot of people do it for free, for the community i think thats under-rewarded