Childrens Animation pilot

2D Concept art (created by the client)

a frame from the animation 3D (by me)

Hi,
I wanted to share the last project I worked on, a children’s t.v. pilot/teaser. The client created a storyboard and concept art for all the characters, my challenge was to translate their lovely natural media 2D artwork into 3D models.
I did all the modeling, animation, rendering and compositing in Blender. It is my first major project to be 100% blender. I really enjoyed working on the project.
I hope you like it.

best,
David

That is fantastic! The animation is spot on, and everything seems 100% professional! The style is very lovely too.

amazing @David_McDermott … i like the concept… can you add making of any shot?

-Nita

5 stars from me, awesome

@italianjoy thanks for the kind words, glad you like it.

@nita thanks Nita, sure I will go through the data and post a few shots this evening. I love your work BTW.

Amazing! usually tv is filled with junk but this is well made. make me want to create things with paper.

thank you :slight_smile:

-Nita

Ok here are a couple of screens of the compositing.

The difficult part was trying to mimic the cardboard layers. In the pirate scene the boat actually passes through the layers of plastacine wave models.To avoid this intersecting, I had to render all the elements seperately and then layer them back together in the comp. It ended up being a whole lot of layers! I used open exr for most of the images and also png sequences, where I needed to redo a specific element.
First I finished the body motion and then did a seperate comp and final colour correction for the face.

@ShacharHarshuvall credit for the story and idea goes to the company I was working for. But I agree, all kids need to have interesting and exciting play is some cardboard and sticky tape.

@mlodas wow, thanks!

Nice work. I love this style. Thanks for sharing screens from node editor.

Very nice result, good to see professional works like this time after time.

@gumen and @karlis.stigis
thanks for the kind words, both of your works are really inspiring! I really liked the Forestry commercial.
It encourages me to keep learning and improving.
:slight_smile:

I believe I grabbed the wrong image for the feature. There’s no way for me to correct that. X_X
I blame 5am! It’s 5am’s fault!

Sorry!

Correct image used on the Facebook post. https://www.facebook.com/blenderartists

This is terrific. Congrats on getting paid to play around with Blender.

Steve S

Congratulations !!!
Love it!

Waw, this is so stylised and flawless. Amazingly professional.
5*

wow this is great! feeled so wonderful!

The song sounds very japanice for me.) Very well done pilot. Godd animation and nice style

Very cool. Great execution of the art direction!

Awesome! …