Panda3d gets new openGL features

https://www.panda3d.org/blog/the-new-opengl-features-in-panda3d-1-9/

This should change some of the opinions on Panda3D as a BGE replacement.

This is great news indeed.If they integrate it.I hope we still will have something like logic bricks.Because they are easy to understand.

I do have to say, with tesselation and all the other features they listed… it looks better every tme I see it, and if we had a active developer base, that was more then 4 people…

It looks like they have a method to access C++ via python, so that would mean the logic brick data could be exported using those hooks? Like create events, and then use the event to trigger callbacks?

Panda3d uses python scripting so it would be more logical to integrate a more efficient, non cluttered visual programming system like Hive.

https://www.panda3d.org/blog/buffer-protocol-support/

this is like hooks into C++?

I like bge logic bricks because they are real easy to understand.I sure hope hive is as simple.If and when it is completely developed.

Any python language can call into c++ and back. You can also include headers for panda to write code in c++

By the way, how’s the work on the full integration of Panda3D in Blender going?

Just curious, as you talked numerous times before of it replacing the existing BGE.

I wonder if it would be possible to impliment the marching cubes algorithm with panda 3d.When they are finished.

I am interested as well…

Shouldn’t that be better posted in a panda3D forum? I do not see a relation to the BGE.

There was allot of dev talk about replacing the current bge with Panda3D, so this news can push the idea a bit further, since not all of the devs and users were supporting it.

I just started uni so my contributions aren’t underway as yet. I’m focusing on hive in the interim to make some performance changes

So it still does not belong to the bge, but to a hypothetical plugin.

I would expect that such a plugin is based on the latest version of Panda3D (Latest version before starting the project). The only “news” would be that whoever wants to develop that needs to consider future updates to Panda3D to merge into the (then existing) plugin.

Anyway … this is discussion that belongs to this plugin. It is not BGE discussion. I suggest to continue on the project forum.

The discussion is supposed to be oriented around it replacing the BGE rather than the original subject of it’s new features.
Anyway this thread should be moved to Latest News or Offtopic section?

** Moderation **
Moved from Game Engine Support and Discussion
as it does not belong to the BGE

That is quite an update. The last time I’ve read about Panda3D it was still very basic so they have really upped their game, I’m impressed!