Little people scenes

Ive come to love these little people (by Fisher Price) I used to play with them, they are vintage from the 80’s i think. Id like to create humorous scenes with them using depth of field, simple geometry and beatiful sub surface scattering shaders that allow light to glow through the plastic. Right now it is a diffuse glossy mix. Im doing the characters first to set the stage and then on to the vehicles etc. Its not supposed to be photo real to the exact toys I dont think just some cute scenes. What i mean is im not modeling the vehicles exactly like the real toys. The people are though. So well see how it goes.

Attachments

Here are the real ones

Attachments

nevermind, posted before you put up the referance shot

Here is the shader Im planning on for the plastic. It looks good with a strong light behind it but in a normal scene, ill have to use lots of light to make it show good. Or it will be a subtle effect. I will try to compare this shader side by side with or without the sss mixed in. By the way this shader is built off one example by elbroju de la tribu. Thanx for the idea

Attachments

O and the size of the object has a big impact on the scattering effect. No? Yes it does I think. I will work on it.

The suzzanne above is a default size of 2 metres or blender units so a tiny object will be thinner and allow more light through, Yes??

Heres one of the vehicles. Looks a bit bland in a stark white world but im not impressed with the look in the wheel wells, fenders, how the light is coming through too much.

Attachments

I thought when I saw the thumbnail that those things looked familiar. Nice project. It’s looking good so far.

the three objects on the right have diffuse glossy and the rest have that with sss mixed in. Both use all the same color rgb inputs. Does anyone know what the whitish scratches are ive never seen them in a cycles render. 1000 samples by the way.

Attachments

O its something in my scene. I moved it to a new scene and it went away. Almost looked real like scratches or something.

Iv egot the people done now with a basic glossy difuse shader with a bit of scratches and a face texture image. Alls missing is the dog.

Attachments

This brings back some childhood memories :smiley: Keep it up!

Looking good! Keep it up :slight_smile:

We had a few of those things around the house when I was little, I think we may or may not have sold them at a garage sale which was the fate of a number of childhood plastic toys.

The latest image looks good, but I believe the reference also shows a little crease going through the heads and what appears to be some bloom (done in Cycles through a second, rougher glossy shader).

Thats fantastic. I had those as a kid WAY back in the late 60s, early 70s. The airport was epic. Picked one up on ebay when my kids were little. Great job.