Can't import xcf file.

Hi all. New member here with a question about Gimp.
I’m trying to import an xcf file into Blender but am not having much success. I have xcftools installed and the xcf import/export addon has been activated in user preferences. Every thime I try to import I get this message,

I don’t know enough about Blender to know what the messages means or what the problem is, only started using it a few weeks back so I’m still finding my way around.

I’m hoping to be able to try out some lighting effects on the xcf. Blender looks like it could be a good addition to Gimp in this respect but it will just be me experimenting at this stage.
I have been using Gimp for several years so for any problems at that end I should know where to look and how to fix them, not so for Blender though.

Running Linux Mint 17, Gimp 2.8.14, Blender 2.69

Thanks for any help with this.

Hey caz747. I can’t confirm the issue with Blender 2.72 and an XCF file generated by GIMP 2.8. Can you upload your file somewhere? If it’s private, you can email it to me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Thanks for the info, prokoudine. I have tried several different xcf files but Blender won’t import any of them.
I can’t add the xcf to this post as I get a message saying xcf is an invalid format so I will e-mail one of the files over to you.
Thanks.

Version 2.69 suggests that you’re using repository version of Blender. Even if not, try with the latest official from the website. Problems with repository versions belong to distribution support.

It really doesn’t matter. I can confirm this on official 2.72 release. I can also create a new XCF file of my own from dev version of GIMP, and it will fail to load as well, so I’m guessing that’s what caz747 is doing too: using unstable GIMP where file format has been sightly changed. Let’s see how this could be fixed.

Thanks JA12. I am using the version of Blender that comes with the Linux Mint repository. I will check out the website and see about getting the latest version and see if that works okay.

@ prokoudine. I’m not using the dev vesion of Gimp, 2.9, but I do compile the latest versions of 2.8 myself when they’re released rather than use the one available in the repository. Not sure if this could be the cause of the problem?
I will probably compile Blender from source too, programs seem to integrate better with my OS if I do.

Yes it matters when pinpointing where the problem could be and where to turn to for a fix. Previous replies also have an effect on the next ones.

Anyway. Here’s a .xcf created in Gimp 2.8.10 that can be imported in latest official. Could test with that as a reference.
testfile_gimp_2.8.10.zip (1.49 KB)

Cheers JA12, I tried out the test file xcf in Blender 2.72 but still no change. Also I noticed the the folder above is placed on my desktop after trying ti import an xcf file. There is nothing in it and I have no idea as to why it appears.
Maybe the problem could be something to do with my operating system, that’s a stab in the dark on my part though.
Just as a side note, Blender 2.72 seems to be working fine, didn’t need to compile it as I thought I would have to, so that saved some time. No md5sum at the download page though, offical blender site, bit of an oversight there I thought.

Hmm. Few things come to mind. I can open that file with official Blender 2.72 but since you can’t, something is messing with how it works.

Blender comes with it’s own Python which it uses by default. Not sure how that is overridden but these environment variables might potentially do so: PYTHONPATH, PYTHONHOME. If set, those might make Blender use wrong version of python which would explain why the import script doesn’t work for you. Could also check if PATH contains python installation directory. You can check those with printenv command in terminal, here’s mine:

Import script requires xcftools to be installed. Maybe there is a version difference that breaks something. Also the error is from camera setup. Could try disabling set camera when importing and see if it goes through, you can do that in the import dialog where the settings are on the bottom left. I’m not getting a temporary directory on the desktop, that I can notice at least.

Edit: my xcftools version is 1.0.7. Checked with command “xcfinfo --version”.

Thanks JA12. It would appear as if I have been something of a dimwit. When i first tried to import an xcf I first checked that xcftools were installed by running “apt search xcf” in terminal. And of course they were listed there, unfortunately just because they were listed it didn’t actually mean that they were installed. It wasn’t until I ran “xcfinfo --version” that I suddenly realised that they were not installed.
Now that I have installed xcftools everything is working fine, no problems with importing the files.
Apologies for wasting yours and prokoudine’s time on this wild goose chase. Sometimes I just don’t believe the things I don’t see.

Anyway, just in case any one else stumbles on this thread, after running “apt search xcf” make sure that there is a little letter “i” before xcftools and not a letter “p”. The “I” means they are installed, the “p” means they’re not.

Nah. The cause might be worth of a facepalm but at least troubleshooting revealed the problem, so as support threads go this was a successful one.

Facepalm indeed. :):cool:

It wasn’t exactly a wild goose chase. While figuring out what went wrong with GIMP, we found a commit made between 2.8.10 and 2.8.14 releases that has a potential of breaking things, so thanks anyway :slight_smile: