VRAY for Blender, installation and licence

Hello,
I have some problems with Vray, I installed Vray 2.0 standalone and the plugin Vray for Blender 2.69 but when I try to render an image it doesn’t launch Vray, nothing happen.
So I would like to know how I can activate the licence of Vray (I got a dongle key but I don’t understand how it’s used), and then how to configure it with the plugin.
By the way, is it possible to use Vray stalone with Blender 2.72?
Thanks for your help

http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/blender/

I already follwed this of course, but at the end when I launch an image render nothing happens. I don’t know why, and Vray never asked me the licence so I don’t know if the dongle key is used or not.

Check if you have correctly installed
a) the dongle drivers (WkRuntime64.exe)
b) the vray license server (vrlservice_adv_2xxxx_x64.exe)
c) vray standalone (vray_adv_2xxxx_maya_201x_x64.exe)

Make sure the license server is up and running - it will throw an error message if you launch it without the dongle plugged in. Then launch vray/blender: The license server checks the validity of the hardware dongle and will allow vray to run when called from within blender.

Newer versions of vray/blender are afaik available as “nightlies”. Drop an email to Chaosgroup’s support team at [email protected]. They will check if you’re a licensed customer and provide you with access to the nightly repository. From my understanding they’re working on vray 3.0 integration into vray/blender for quite some time now, that’s why they haven’t released a newer “final” version since 2.69. But vray/blender 3.0 nightlies are supposed to run with vray 2.0, too, only some vray 3.0 specific functions and nodes will (naturally!) not work.

Speaking of vray 3.0: Not sure if it was perfectly good timing to buy vray 2.0 just now - with vray standalone 3.0 around the corner you can only hope to fall under some kind of grace period to get a free upgrade when it arrives.

Thanks for your explainations, I’ve succeeded to run the server but my dongle is running Vray for 3ds max 1.5. Shoult I contact the Vray support or is it unecessary?
I downloaded the 2.72 Vray for Blender build from nightlies. (Thanks for the link)
Never seen a software as difficult to install…

The hardware dongle doesn’t run V-Ray, it runs the licence server. You would have received instructions on how to install and run the licence server with the dongle drivers and licence server software.

You need to install the dongle driver, licence server and V-Ray. If it isn’t working, you should probably contact your V-Ray reseller in the first instance and advise them of whatever error messages are showing in the Blender console.

If you already owned a licence it would have to be upgraded, if not they should have provided you with the correct support to be able to run it.

The bottom line is you bought something from a shop. If it doesn’t work after you correctly followed the installation instructions, take it back to the shop. If you don’t understand the installation instructions, call the shop for advice and clarification. If it’s a problem only Chaos Group can resolve they will put you in touch with someone who can fix it.

For what it’s worth, it would have been helpful to tell us which OS, and the error messages.

As far as I can tell, they are still building the linux Blender on what might be Ubuntu 12.04, so the nightlies won’t run on newer versions without symlinks or some similar tweak. :confused:

There usually is a quite generous one. :slight_smile:

Well, everything is running correctly now (on Windows 8.1 by the way, I forgot to tell it) and I contacted the support of Chaosgroup for resolve the problem with the uncorrect licence on my Dongle.
For Vray 3.0 I didn’t know that it will be available for Blender too… :confused:

The licence for Vray Standalone 2.x is now activated on the dongle, I have the version 1.x too so I asked to the support if the next version, the 3.x, will be offered to owners of previous versions.
Let’s hope so!
Thanks for your help and explainations :slight_smile:

I have a new question :stuck_out_tongue:
I would like to know if the materials from this website http://www.vray-materials.de/ (which are in .mat format) can be imported in Blender for Vray?
Or if I must wait the 3.0 vray standalone for the new shader format which will be cross-platforms (.vismat, source:http://vray.info/news/article.asp?ID=553)

AFAIK vismat support will be (if at all) vray 3.0 only…