My reference plane images disappear when I go into transparency to model-need help!

I am using the “images as planes” and setting up a front and side reference drawing. They only show if I set the window to “texture.” So when I want to start box modeling and hit the Z key it takes away the image from the reference planes. So that totally defeats the purpose.

Is there a way to set the planes so that they retain the texture (the reference images) independent from the box I am modeling on?

I am able to set the lighting on the images by taking the shading off so that they are not affected by light sources. Can I do something like that to keep the images there when I am trying to model from them?

Thanks for any help with this.

For the textures planes, I am not sure but I usually set up a background image like they show here
(Scroll down to the “background image” section.)
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Navigating/3D_View_Options

Thanks for the reply. I can do the background image but I want to be able to see the images when I am in perspective modes also. I was able to do that in 3D Max. I could simply have my individual objects in different modes…some wireframe and some fully textured. Using image lane supposedly allows me to view the reference image from any angle…except that it goes transparent.

Here are the two states.

So I would like for the cube to go transparent as I model…but keep the planes with the fish images as textured. They don’t do me any good if I can’t see them. Obviously!

Three options to do this I think.

Use image empties instead of textured planes. Set any empty to image display type and load the image via the Properties > Empty panel. It will show the image no matter what the viewport shading mode is. This is the best method (so I’ve heard).

Textured planes - With an object in edit mode a Hidden Wire checkbox appears in Properties shelf > Shading. With this set any objects put into edit mode will show only wires (with the Limit Selection to Visible setting applied to it -on/off toggle in 3Dview header). Object will go solid when you tab into object mode.

Another way with planes is with selected object (your model) Properties > Object > Display > Maximum Draw Type set to wires. Also enable Draw All Edges in that same panel if you want to see all edges in Object Mode ('cos edges will be all you see no matter the viewport shading mode). Limit Selection to Visible won’t work at all in this mode. Edit: Oops yes it does… doesn’t effect display much but you can’t select vertices through the model.

-LP

Thanks Larry…the first sounds like it would be the best…but I have yet to learn what an “empty” is. But I will try to google all of your suggestions to learn more about each of these options.

It is a breath of fresh air to know that I can still do this. Right now I have gone back to Background Image. Thanks again. Nice to be using Blender finally after so many years. And way back when I only dabbled as I was using Max all the time.

An empty is a null object. Add one via add menu and its icon/panel will appear in properties (or when any empty is selected). Empties have multiple display types and one of them is image. Other settings will appear there too (transparency, etc). Image empties is one of many little (and not so little) changes you’ll see if you’ve not been in this beast for years.

Welcome back. :wink:

-Larry

Thanks for the guide to this procedure. Sure appreciate that. Will give it a try right now.

Btw empties will not render (even if set to image type) so that can be good or bad depending on your needs. Edit: Well it will OpenGL render (viewport render, playblast, whatever you want to call it).

Sheesh my scattered brain = multiple edits/btw’s. Time to unplug I think. :slight_smile:

-LP

I don’t see where I can attach or upload my jpeg to the empty (image) panel in the viewport. I see the options on the left and right menu bars but nowhere can I see how to connect my fish image to it.

Select the Empty, then look there :
http://i.imgur.com/qCSLbzu.jpg

Works great…thanks Sanctuary…would have taken me a month of Sundays to find that. Perfect. Thanks to all three of you who helped me on this topic.