Layered Painting in Blender 2.72

One of the most underrated parts of Blender has undergone a huge improvement!

Helping to demonstrate this improvement we have a great new tutorial on how to 3D paint a simple toon style cactus prop.

Simple?

Now I say simple, but this is something that is surprisingly difficult to achieve.

Layered painting is not something we’ve seen done too often as it’s historically been a little tricky to setup. The new Blender 2.72 paint slots update makes painting with alpha layers a lot more straightforward.

Also check out the new Fill brush, color palettes, gradients and more besides!

The original page can be found on CG Masters.

• Aidy.

Excellent! Thank you so much for sharing!

Hey thanks for saying so! You’re very welcome! :smiley:

Excellent, well done, clearly presented, thank you for taking the time, it is an important feature.

Thanks Paul! It’s an area we’d like to return to explore further!

• Aidy :slight_smile:

Is there any expectation of adding ‘one more brush’ to the collection. This would be a brush with texture and alpha which would be selectable from Presets. If I want to paint pores on skin or blotches on a tree bark, I would want to use a texture brush and have alpha control. As a selectable brush, I should be able to scale it, as in big blotches in some areas and smaller blotches in another. ZBrush and 3DCoat both implement this kind of painting choice.

I was excited about this feature, and i have been spending the last 2 day’s trying to figure it out, I’ve watched that video dozens of times ending up in failure. Everytime I click on my 2nd slot the one that has the alpha my object apears as white, even though on the image itself is completely alpha and should be showing the black background. been messing with shading turning it on and off. Just can’t figure it out, my only outcome would be this is bugged or broke.

been trying to do this for 2 day’s now. watched that video a dozen times and can’t figure it out. when i click on my alpha layer slot my object goes white. Either I keep doing this wrong or it’s broke or bugged. Anyone else figure this out and make it work?

Hi Paul, sorry for the delay I didn’t spot your reply.

Yes that should be possible to do that by adding a new brush, let’s say duplicate the standard texdraw brush, and then set a new texture to a clouds texture (maybe set it to a clouds texture in the textures tab of the properties window). Then put that in the texture mask slot section in the toolshelf. F will then control the scale, Shift F will control the alpha.

Hope that helps! It really can be quite confusing without the proper imagery, perhaps we’ll do some follow up video content on that among some other things! :slight_smile: - Aidy.

Hi Mclovn! Sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with it, try making sure that in the properties sidebar you’re set to GLSL shading mode. Also you’ll need to make sure you’re in textured view - Alt Z.

If that doesn’t help, feel free to send me your blend with your current setup and maybe I can find out what’s going on. Thanks!

Aidy.

weird, that seemed to have done it. I just did a quick test and it worked. I have tried everything, Thought i had tried every combination of GLSL and Multitexture with Texture, Material, Solid and Rendered Mode. Thanks