how do i sink 1 object into another without linking them?

hello,
what i’m basicly trying to do what cant explain how to put it exactly but i’ll give it ago…

what i’m making is a corset in blender and i’m trying to ‘sink’ the pattern design into
the mesh of the corset but i cant seem to figure out what its called or how to do it…

so lets say you have a plain and you have a cube… you want the cube to sink into
the plane and want it also to have walls on echt 4 sunking edges from the cube
sinking into it…basicly kinda like the outline to be pulled into the main object…

anyone able to help?

thx !

sounds like a boolean modifier with ‘difference’ could do that… not exactly sure if I got you right though.

Hmm there are a few options layed out for you then.

First one being the boolean ( applies well to your cube and plane example ).

What you do is add a Boolean modifier to your plane. You set it to “difference” and then select your cube. Apply the modifier and presto. You now have a cube “cut” or “pressed” into your plane.
Be wary though, booleans mess up your mesh more often than not.
It probably won’t properly work on a round object like a corset either. But you can always try.

Secondly you have the option to render your pattern design using a displacement map.
You UV unwrap your corset , and apply a heightmap to it.

Thirdly you have the option to render your pattern using a normal map. ( works similar to displacement maps, but it is a bit cheaper )

Sculpting. You can sculpt your pattern in the corset using the multi-resolution modifier.
You can then BAKE that sculpture to a displacement or normal map.

I’m sorry as to why I’m so vague. But these are all subjects that touch on your problem and they are commonly used in the industry. ( especially 2 3 and 4 )

I think blenderguru talks a bit about normal maps in this video:

The first few minutes should explain what normal maps do and that might convince you into using them for your corset.
Otherwise I recommend you look into some sculpting tutorials because it sounds as if you’re trying to sculpt detail into a corset.

Thank you very very much for your reply i’ll need to test number 1 because 234 are with textureing and mapping when this figure is planned to be 3D printed not textured so i dont really care to much about mesh being slightly messup aslong as the printed result is as i need it…

here is abit better of a explanation with help of the first one you answerd.
so:
the corset is rounded yes but if i make the flat plane shape of the design i want inlayed into the corset then shape it around the corset to fit the rounding then kind of boolean it into the corset would that give a better result then using it purely as flat shaped plane?

thing also is that the corset is poorly made (i’m still a noobie afterall) and the unwrapping would go completely wrong because of the unevenness in the shape… also i used shrinkwrap to mold it around the base figure of the elf… so yeah dunno if that makes any difference?

lastly would it be possible to kind of draw it onto the corset using verts and linking them together with “F key”?

Its really annoying you cant just do like you can do with other objects and thats link them together and extrude them into itsself… :frowning:

other ways might be to try the Soft body or rigid body anim !

happy bl

soft body and rigid body didnt work… remember this isnt for rendering its for 3D printing… i just want the one object to sort of hollow out inside the other object…

Marvelous Designer.

from soft or rigid body you can make it real 3D
you use soft or rigid to get the needed deformation / shape

and could also be possible but more difficult with Lattice deformation

happy bl