Procedural Volume - Cloud like thing

Hi, Im new around here and also with blender. I made a few tests and came out with this. I’m sharing it to have some advice on rendering (efficiency and look) and also to ask if anyone knows a way to create a “loop/for node” like in houdini, I really miss it, that and this useful node: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini9.5/nodes/sop/isooffset. It will be nice to have something like that for smooth out the “boundaries” on this aproach (read the fog volume data part of the node). Thats all guys, I’m really surprised with all the nice things that blender have and its wide range of tools.

PD: Pardon my horrible english.

Play with my Scene: nodes.blend (505 KB)

You can add clouds with the cloud generator. It comes packed in all recent versions. You can enable it from user preferences >> add-ons >> cloud generator. There is some documentation, but basically, you just make a mesh in the shape you want your cloud to be, and it makes a cloud. there are some settings you can adjust for different types of clouds.

By “smooth out the boundaries”, do you mean make the volume cleaner or more defined?

The volumetrics stuff was introduced by Farsthary back in 2008. His old blog has a lot of interesting detail on the implementation, which might be helpful for you. By all means, read the whole blog, but the good stuff starts in December, 2008. Some beautiful work.