Cycles Glossy Floor? Need Help!

Hello Everybody I’m new :slight_smile:
I registered because i want to get more into creating cycles materials. For my current project im trying to create a glossy floor like in this image:

and this is basically where i stand:

I can see some displacement in the floor i want to create but really i have no idea on how to get the material right. any help would be appreciated!

Do you have a ceiling with lights, or is it open to the sky color?

the ceiling is a simple plane that stretches over the whole room with an emission material and separated by a grid that is in front of it! here is a 10 samples render:

1. Use the fresnel node as the diffuse/glossy mix factor.
  2. You might want the spec map to be a brighter/higher contrast version of the diffuse map.
  3. Texturing roughness might help get that broken up look to the highlights. For a simple texture like you have here, you can probably just use a dimmer, inverted version of your spec map.

thanks for the help so far! everything works out fine, I’ve used crazy bump (still free on mac) for the spec texture and a fresnel on the factor! the only thing i can get right is the displacement in the floor to get that jagged look. everything looks to smooth. Any advice on that? I can’t really use the floor texture since it has to many details. Ive tried a displacement modifier with cloud tex on the plane but it didn’t look good at all. Any advice?

Unplug the color input to the glossy node, make the glossy white.

Instead of the Displace modifier, you can also use the displacement texture connected to a ‘Bump’ node, that you can connect to your glossy, fresnel, and diffuse nodes… Just keep the ‘Strength’ value a bit low.

For this kind of geometry (floor), a bump map will do the job, specially for slight rough reflections.

thanks for all the advice so for, it’s looking way better! i still have a problem with the bump node, or rather texture i use because i want a rather smooth displacement (i wonder why there is no cloud texture as a cycles node?). a bit off topic, and maybe common knowledge, but why has the fresnel such a hard transition? what is wrong with this? it just paints a circle on the floor from the perspectives?

thanks all for the advice so far, its looking way better by now! btw why does fresnel do this, is it supposed to look like this?

your first pic shows light reflection on floor and if you add bumps you might loose this effect !

can you show the image your are using ?

did a test with proc texture noise and difficult not to loose the light on the floor !

happy cl

There was great tip to bosst render times with using bump nodes: the idea is to duplicate shading network but without any bumps and mix final shader nodes with another mix node driven by LightPath/IsCamera output. So bump will be calculated only for camera rays and not for all other (gi, transmisson and so on).