Need Help with Shape

Hi, noobie here…

I’m trying to create a wing-like shape. I started the shape using a connected Nurbs path (mirrored) as seen here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335973[/ATTACH]

As you can see circled in red, I somehow lost an edge between two vertices. After days of trying and researching, I have not been able to replace this edge; keep getting message: “Segment cannot be created.” However, the good news is, when I convert the path to mesh, the edge gets restored:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335976[/ATTACH]

So far, so good. However, Blender creates far too many vertices after the conversion. I was able to eliminate some of the vertices by using “Limted Dissolve.” Then, I was able to “solidify,” “add face,” and “bevel.” However, the results I’m getting are very unexpected:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335977[/ATTACH]

All I want to do is fill is fill in my initial shape with a wavy face and give it some thickness. Can someone give me the simple steps to accomplish this? I’ve spent quite a bit of time tweaking this shape, so ideally I can salvage it, though I’m willing to start over if necessary. I realize my main problem is that I’m trying to add the face AFTER creating the wavy shape/outline. However, I know it’s possible to create shapes using curves and paths, just missing some steps maybe? Have not been able to find help in any tutorials so far. Any tips? Thanks

As you can see circled in red, I somehow lost an edge between two vertices
To get a linked curve you will need to make it cyclic (Alt+C in edit mode or the Toggle Cyclic button in the toolshelf under Curve Tools

However, Blender creates far too many vertices after the conversion

Set your curve resolution in the curve properties panel before converting it to a mesh

Thank you, Richard! I’ve been able to restore the missing segment, and convert to mesh without too many vertices.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335988[/ATTACH]

At this point… what is the best way to create a wavy face within my outline? Thanks!

I’m now thinking I won’t be able to do what I’m trying to do, i.e. add a face to this outline that weaves in and out of 3D space. I keep getting aberrant shapes. If this is true, what is the best way to start when creating this shape? Thanks for the help!

Hate to say - default Plane with Subsurf lvl 1 applied, some extrusions and Proportional grab, likely ;).
Right now - if that is a mesh - select one outline, F to face it, I to inset. Could use Mirror modifier to cheat a bit and work just on one.
Edit: Waviness - J connect vertices across and grab (if that will be one image - Displace mod later might fit).

Even number of vertices and Grid Fill or F2 and continuous fill.

"Hate to say… " means, yes, I am correct. Have to start over?

I added a face and inset… created an interesting shapes, but nothing I could use.

I would need more detailed instructions in order to try this. Thanks

Juha, this sounds like an interesting approach, but I am still too new to understand how to actually apply these commands. Could you possible add a bit more detailed instructions? Thanks so much!

After undo is F2 continuous fill (F-key).

Juha, thanks so much for the video… that REALLY helped! Actually, the “Grid Fill” produced very weird results. However, I was able to “Mesh/Fill” and it worked fairly well. Then I sub-divided a few times. (see below) Is there a command I can now use to smooth out all the curves and lines so everything is more graceful and curvy? I tried using “Smooth Vertices” and the results were undesirable. Thanks again!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336026[/ATTACH]

Here you go - example:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/31850

Triangles wont smooth; use quads ( Mesh-Faces - Tris to Quads.)

to smooth out all the curves and lines so everything is more graceful and curvy

1. Mesh - Vertices -Smooth Vertex (Select all, Select - Boundary Loop, invert selection before to not distort overall form)
  2. Subsurf mod
  3. Loop Tools addon - select one loop and Relax, repeat.
  4. Sculpt mode, smooth brush ;).

I’m very grateful for all these suggestions. Some are helping, others not. Probably because of my unique shape. I think I’m going to start over from scratch and this time employ everything I’ve learned here. I expect to get better results. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions. Wow, I really appreciate the help! Thanks

Well, here is the work in progress… a sculpture with two figures (created with MakeHuman), and the wings we’ve been working on. I’m quite happy with the wings though they can still use some slight refinements. Thanks for the help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336226[/ATTACH]
Next, I need to create a blowing cloth draped over the lower figure’s groin area. I created a “cloth” simulation using this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zd1AI198I8 Well, as I’m sure everyone knows, cloth simulation creates a great rumpled cloth effect by causing the cloth object to DROP DOWN and collide with something, right? So I rotated the entire creation so the male figure was laying on his back. Then I ran the simulation. Cloth dropped right down onto his crotch and rumpled. Worked great! However, when I rotated the figures back upright, the cloth lost its rumpled shape, and returned to its original flat, rectangular shape! I also discovered you can’t edit a cloth object that’s been simulated. It does the same thing, i.e. returns to its original shape. I need to study up on creating cloth, but if anyone has any tips for me, they would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks all!

p.s. In watching some more tutorials, I’m discovering that DROP DOWN is not the only way to create the cloth sim. Will update as I learn more.

After you run sim and choose frame you like - go to modifiers tab and press Apply button on Cloth modifier. It will be “frozen” and mesh you can edit or run another sim based on this new shape.

eppo, this is a great tip! I’m going to play with it… will post results. Thanks!!! :eyebrowlift:

Well, I am making progress as seen in the image below. Thanks to eppo I was able to create a very nice cloth shape. However, I’m wondering if there is something I can do to eliminate the pointy triangular shapes that are appearing on render underneath the wings. The wings are sub-divided and smoothed many times, but those large triangular shapes can be seen in the 3D window (solid mode). However, in wireframe mode, the shapes are many-times sub-divided… I think I even used “Convert tris to quads.” Could someone suggest a way to fix? Thanks very much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336834[/ATTACH]

In edit mode - with Proportional Editing. Or in sculpt mode :wink:

Stan, thank you very much. Proportional Editing is BRILLIANT!!! :yes: