Weird glitches between Sculpt mode and Object Mode with Mesh

I’m following a video tutorial on sculpting and when I switch back to object mode to review my work there are weird random spikes jutting out from my mesh, as best as I can determine they arise from attempting to work around the neck area.

Attempting the smooth or polish tool around the neckline causes this:

Here’s edit mode.

Here’s sculpt mode:

In sculpt mode the original deformations didn’t appear, I only noticed when I went to object mode. Back in sculpt mode the neckline deformations occurred and all attempts to smooth it out haven’t fixed it.

I have noticed edges don’t always act predictably with the smooth brush. I think you can fix it by closing off the open bits before sculpting.

That seems to have prevented the worst of it, but still artifacts around the neck area, just more subtle/subdued version of whats in image #2.

Is it possible the brush tools don’t like sharp angles? I used the arrow keys to extrude instead of the translation key.

That seems to have prevented the worst of it, but still artifacts around the neck area, just more subtle/subdued version of whats in image #2.

Is it possible the brush tools don’t like sharp angles? I used the arrow keys to extrude instead of the translation key.

On this: http://i.imgur.com/emzkzjr.png
Whats going on under neck? Isn’t there a adidional edge?

Could You share .blend?

When I’m back home later today, I ended up restarting and I managed to not have it reoccur. What I noticed that underneath most of my faces there was some weird duplicate face/vertex, so if I moved a vertex there was another one in the old position staring at me…

It turned out for sure to be impossible to fix just by deleting the extra vertexes, so I started over and so far it hasn’t happened. I suspect I accidentally hit some random buttons and must’ve done something or wrongly applied something somewhere.

This time I’m also making regular backups.