Tank Animation

Hello, i can easily rig up a tank track and move it back and forth, but when i make a pair of tracks i cant rotate them, (pivoting a tank on the spot) When i try to animate it the tracks turn and roll, but they meet up in the middle of the tank and come back out. (=track ----Tank) goes from this( ---- ) to ( -–_- ) and to (–__–) then reversed to to the start while turning 90 degrees left/right.

Also, is there a way to add keyframes/animate with editing models with edit mode then going back to obj mode and adding keyframe.(eg) a wall, all perfect, add keyframe, skip a couple and make a hole in it in edit mode, going to obj mode and adding keyframe?

I have a series of tutorials on makeing a good working Tank Track Rigg…

go here…

Thank you very much, i will start following them asap.

please give some comments and likes while your over there…

also don’t be afraid to ask if you have some questions…

Hey, im not able to complete my vimeo register, but first question, my track follows half way on the circle but then gets off track. The track blocks get bigger on the bends too. Probably a noob fix, but any help?

Sorry I have been out of town for over a week… just now seeing this… let me look at the file real quick and will get back with you…

im not able to complete my vimeo register

I have never had that problem with Vimeo… they have always been way easier to access and use than youtube… so…

my track follows half way on the circle but then gets off track

in many things in blender you need to make sure that the object your working on has zeroed out it’s rotation and scale…
this is easiest done by…

Selecting your object > Then in Object mode > Hit Ctrl+A (to apply) select “Rotation & Scale”

Also where ever the center pivot of your object is will be where that object gets alighned to the path… so if your faces in edit mode have been moved away from the objects center pivot then they will be that far away from the path in object and pose mode as well…

The track blocks get bigger on the bends too

In my first couple of Tank Track Tutorials this problem is inherent to the techinque… I address this however in later videos… that’s why there is a series of them… as the process gets more complex and improves on the technque… if all you have done is just the first 3 or 4 videos then this problem won’t be solved… yet…

finally you may have to post a file for me to examine what is happening with your track…

Sorry for the late reply, But i did manage to fix my tracks, when i get the skins fixed ill show the little clip i made.

Very cool… hope to see it soon!