Unlimited Detail Engine

Impressive pointcloud madness :smiley: I highly recommend to watch the other videos from Euclideon as well. Navigating through 3tb of pointcloud data in realtime is just jaw-dropping…

Do they support non static objects?

Simply Amazing.

Vaporware of the decade since 2010.

I hear that everything in the scene is so static that even the reflections and the speculars don’t change when you move around.

This looks to be a step up from their earlier demos, but it’s a long way from being ready for games, it would make more sense for them to work more on getting a good point cloud mapping product out the door since this it’s currently a far more feasible thing for them than a game engine.

Vaporware indeed. The closest thing they have is visualization software for topological survey data, and the data sets are GARGANTUAN. At the same time, they claim their data is usable in real time for game engines. Which is it? Can’t require TBs of storage AND be ready for game applications.

I don’t think anyone familiar with computers and storage has ever really taken their claims seriously. It’s not that hard to calculate the storage requirements of a single point in 3D space + color data and then extrapolate. I don’t doubt that their search/display algorithm is impressive, but why not let that stand on its own merits instead of whipping the gaming community into a frenzy a couple of times a year with false promises?

[video]https://www.google.com/atap/projecttango/#project[/video] will be able to generate uv meshes from point clouds in real time I guess, but I have not been able to play with one to really know how handy it is,

this is interesting as well

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-38BVRHPVI_M/VCYBj1KUBaI/AAAAAAAALT0/gpiEFRHFXlI/w551-h310-no/VjkjAKN.gif

Let’s keep on topic… that has nothing to do with the Unlimited Detail Engine…

I should be more descriptive, what I was hinting at, is that with some sort of algorythm, one could operate on a point cloud with their hands.

But this has still nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

The subject is Euclideon, which puts out a few videos every couple of years which creates massive amounts of waffle

It’s also not hard to calculate how much data bitmap images take, and by extrapolating from there we can conclude that online video will never be practical. I don’t think anyone familiar with computers and storage has ever really taken it seriously…Until we consider compression of course. They have previously said that their method uses structures that use a fraction of the space needed to store the original point cloud data. I doubt they would ever claim that terabytes of data would be suitable for anything happening in real time.

I have not paid attention to what they’ve been claiming lately, but this video in particular makes no claims about suitability for games. Their early videos were games focused, but after the gaming community told them to fuc* off, they’ve clearly been focusing on other things. Even if it’s now just static preshaded geometry, it’s still very much useful for presentations and even rendering environments for certain types of games. I would certainly love to have this kind of tech for couple things I’m working on.

It would also be incredibly useful in 3D-apps for realtime rendering of particle caches, but it’s not going to happen any time soon when people have this attitude. But, I do find it neat that they’ve progressed from being a definite hoax to definite vaporware :slight_smile:

Compared to the past looks good now for museum presentations and pyramids and etc. Even human scans. But for a game engine I doubt it! Still it is better than first version of the engine.

Voporware state it is still valid until a build it is shared to the public.

vaporware! that stuff looks so dead. they should have left the forest scene out of the video entirely. the rest was impressive, but if that dead green pixelated mess is what they want to pass off for a “living” thing, sorry, not interested. haha!

In the other video ( http://youtu.be/5AvCxa9Y9NU ) they announced that they are working on 2 game related projects and will open a gaming division at their company next year. So they are still pushing the gaming part of it. So far though it looks completely unusable. Gaming is interactive, their demo scenes are anything but that.

Fair enough. However, shouldn’t we wait for their gaming related projects to be completed before passing judgement? The current ones are obviously meant for static presentation so it’s rather hard to judge how well their gaming systems fare. Further, around 99% of Skyrim is static content and at much lower detail level, so I don’t see how it would be completely useless even if we assume that static geometry is only thing they can do.

since there are already so called games out there like “Mountain” or “The Stanley Parable” it could of course be a possibility to use this technology.

the new generation of “games” just need to be walking simulators to be declared as a game -just add sound and maybe music to it and have rudimentary walk and look around scripts available… adding an option for simple object movement seems to be possible with the presented technology… even some basic scripting events could be realised if stuff simply explodes or gets exposed in different directions…

so even if we as artists or sometimes as gamers can only shook our heads upon such game releases, it could be easily archived with Unlimited detail tech if the new terms of what a game is, gets accepted.

Im also sceptical of course when it comes to games where there is animation, shaders, dynamic destruction and alike. but a “walking simulator game” can of course be easily made with this .
:wink:

Do they still have some self satisfied voice over while they walk around boring looking shit and run down polygons, whilst bragging about 15 year old tech? Not going to watch.

However if voxels are appealing…
You can still get delta force.

And there’s EverQuest Next , err, beta, which looks like someone actually doing something as opposed to these wankers.

Yeah, I remember when I watched Euclideon’s tech demo 3 years ago I was very impressed, no offense, but they should have released something already, so people can download and play with the technology.

Nowadays point cloud scanning is even more accessible, with about a thousand euros you can get a scanner on your own and then use a 3D engine to render your point clouds. http://potree.org/demo/potree_2014.05.23/examples/weiss_lifeboat.html

What bothers me is the unspoken words left in that video.

A few years ago they were bragging about it being a game engine, and them talking to a few developers about it already.
Now they just… ‘mention’ it and start bragging about point-cloud scanning and representation. ( Which in all honesty looks more feasable than a game engine, BUT I digress )

First, by claiming in a video that they’re talking to other devs. They’re actually goading other devs or companies into taking a look. Because some people desparatly want to be “involved” in the latest tech in the biz. ( Look at iPhone launches if you need further proof of that ). Basically it seems like a big sales trick to me. Because NOW , they’re targetting a different audience all of a sudden.
Either they didn’t know what they were doing a few years back. OR their game dev money fund mine went dry and they’re looking into digging a new hole in other grounds.

So either it’s vapourware, or its a big scam.
I hope it’s neither, but then again it’s all just 1 big 3D picture we’re looking at.
You’ll be better of convincing me when you can change all that pointcloud data into a usable format.

And there is of course Outcast, my favorite game of all time. Sure, looks crap by today’s standard and the polygon part of it looks quite bad even when it came out, but damn those environment were nice, curvy and organic compared to the “flatlands” of the polygonal games at the time.

Indeed the tech has been around for quite some time, and personally I love voxels but they are still not supported by modern tech and most likely they solve problems that don’t really exist so much in today’s games. I can see this software as a presentation, simulation thing but for games? Doubt it, we will see though…